Sunday, May 13, 2007

Nebula Awards Announced!

I'm happy to point out that the Nebula & Norton Awards have just been announced. I'm particularly pleased because James Patrick Kelly won in the Novella category for Burn. As I understand it, Jim had been nominated like ten times before. So I'm very glad to he's finally taken the prize home. Very well deserved.

You can visit the Nebula Website HERE, but the basic line up of winners is as follows. Congrats to them all.

Novel: Seeker, by Jack McDevitt (Ace, Nov05)

Novella: "Burn," by James Patrick Kelly (Tachyon Publications, Dec05)

Novelette: "Two Hearts," by Peter S. Beagle (F&SF, Oct/Nov05)

Short Story: "Echo," by Elizabeth Hand (F&SF, Oct/Nov05)

Script: Howl's Moving Castle, by Hayao Miyazaki, Cindy Davis Hewitt, and Donald H. Hewitt (Studio Ghibli and Walt Disney Pictures - Based on the novel by Diana Wynne Jones.)

Andre Norton Award: Magic or Madness, by Justine Larbalestier (Penguin Razorbill, May05)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger John Dent said...

Howl's moving castle was a fantastic film, both visually and script-wise.
The fact it's based on Diana Wynne Jones' work makes me proud to be Welsh.

2:48 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

You know, I just got a couple of Diana Wynne Jones' books out from the library - sort of for me and sort of for my kids. But our moving date jumped up suddenly and I've had to take them back. Once I'm settled, though, I'll give her a try.

And the Welsh have a great many things to be proud of! Strangely enough, one of my first festive encounters in Scotland was with a gang of well-pissed Welsh guys carrying leeks and buying all the drinks. A fond memory of some good people...

6:57 PM  
Blogger John said...

Pissed and carrying leeks just about sums us up! :) Miss Europe at all?

The only book of Diana's I actually own is "the tough guide to fantasy land".

And Howl's Moving Castle played as the main film in the Aberystwyth arts centre for about 4 months..... Good times.... I miss the structure of the writing seminars we used to have there.

4:57 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Tusk,

Sure I miss Europe… but I thought we were talking about Britain here! Okay, that's a joke. Kind of...

My wife is Scottish and often pines for home. (Her parents live in Shetland just now.) I’m not unmoved by thoughts of returning, but, in an effort to keep her in the US for professional reasons, I’ve orchestrated a move to California instead. Shetland – California… You’d be surprised at how often we teeter between the two…

Actually, I'm curious, was Howl's played at Aberystwyth because it felt at all Welsh, or just because it was Diana Wynne Jones' book? I saw it, but have to say I don't remember it that well. It didn't strike me as one of Miyazaki’s best works.

Course, I might of been pissed at the time. It's been known to happen...

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home