Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Audio Acacia

Thrilled to announce that there's going to be an audio version of Acacia! Tantor Media has acquired the rights. That's about all I know, but it's a relief really. An awful lot of books - even quite successful ones - still don't get audio versions. So for the deal to come through early is a lucky occurrence. My hopes are that it'll help to slowly build an audience for future books through library use.

I sure listen to enough books myself these days. I'm always listening to something, actually, as I take my daily walks. I used to be embarrassed by this - as if somehow it wasn't “real” reading. But I've become convinced that it's just as real, and in some ways it’s a reconnection with the oral storytelling traditions that all our stories evolved from.

Of course, a stinky reading can mess up a good book. There's a fine line between a reader bringing a novel to life and an actor trying to take over the narrative as a personal showcase. My fingers are crossed for Acacia...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Constance Brewer said...

Great news! I'll be anxiously awaiting Acacia. *g* I load audiobooks on my iPod for my drives around the state. Last time we took a 12 hour drive, the kids and I listened to The Golden Compass one way, and The Colors Of The Mountain the other. They even discussed the stories afterwards.

I agree good voice talent makes a world of difference. We quit on listening to Dracula about 15 minutes in because the reader was so annoying.

11:33 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

I've quit quite a few audio books because of issues with the readers. It's a shame, because at times I've felt that a bad reading has made relatively good writing seem melodramatic or overblown. But maybe at times a good reader has made a mediocre book seem better than I would've thought it was otherwise. It might balance out.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home