Thursday, September 27, 2007

Anybody want an audio book of Acacia? Free...

I haven't listened to the entire thing myself - I've got other people's books to read - but I think this a great, unabridged recording, narrated by Dick Hill - he of the "Golden Voice". I got a handful of copies in my possession, and I'm willing to part with one. (That's at least a $59.99 value, although some of them list for $119.99. I don't know what the difference is...)


I'd hope that whomever gets one of these won't just resell it. That would suck. I'd much rather think you'll enjoy listening to it, and then - if you don't need to keep it - pass it on to a friend or donate it to your library. Guess I can't control that, though.

There's a catch, but it's a small one. If you want want one you'll need to visit my Forum. I've opened a thread under the Acacia: The War With The Mein category. Just sign in and leave your name there on the thread. (Joining the Forum does not, by the way, compromise any of your information or make your email public or set you to receive spam or anything like that.) I'll wait a while. When (if) there seem to be enough names to choose from I'll do some sort of random selection and pick a winner. I'll pay postage for domestic (and slow) US shipping. If you're from overseas and win I'd ask that we arrange some way to pay for the postage. Shouldn't be hard to figure out if that happens.

So that's the offer. I've no idea if anybody will be interested in this, but you never know until you try...

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Dirk said...

That's cool, but I'm a reader, not a listener. I tried one of those audio books once and it couldn't keep my attention very well.

If you got any copies of the book to give away, I'm there though :)

4:46 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Dirk,

I hear ya' (no pun intended). I can well see that audio books wouldn't work for everyone. They always did for me, though. I've grown to like them more and more. Partially, it's just a multi-tasking thing - reading while I'm exercising, making dinner, driving. They do hold my attention and I remember the text in detail, but that has something to do with how my brain works. There are other ways it doesn't work.

(Like, my wife can still hide meaning from me by spelling out a word instead of saying - like when you don't want a kid to understand. I sit there trying to put the letters together. It's like five minutes later before I realize she'd just spelled out "ice cream" or something. It's pathetic, but she gets a kick out of.)

But audio books, love em. I'll think about doing something with a regular book, too, but there were quite a few giveaways of those on other people's sites. I'll look for a different angle. Maybe when I get my hands on some British Advance Reading Copies...

5:05 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

Darn it! I'm always late to these things. I'd love to have a copy. Is this thing still open?

6:39 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

You bet! It's just been up for a few days. I'm assuming I'll keep it open for a while - at least until there are enough names over on the Forum to make it seem like an actual contest. So please go throw your name in!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Lystra said...

I just finished listening to the book. I thought it was one of the best readings I have heard in a long time. I too am a reader but I have an hour commute and I would rather listen to something interesting. I highly recommend it for anyone who likes audiobooks.

10:41 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Lystra,

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

-D.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Do you still have a copy? I love it and would really like one! I bought your book for a plane ride from Oregon to Germany and I read the whole way! And on the way back I read it again! I love it!

11:55 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Chris,

Thanks for your interest. But... No, these are long gone! This was from several years ago, I'm afraid.

Very glad to hear you enjoyed the book, though. Please spread the word about it!

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home