Monday, September 17, 2007

Vive la France!

I'm absolutely thrilled to be able to say that for the first time I'm going to be published in French! Considering that I wrote my first published novel, Gabriel's Story, while living in France, I've been waiting anxiously ever since to see when one of my novels would make an appearance in that wonderful country. Now, finally, the wait is over.

Actually, the wait is doubly over because it looks like both Acacia 1 and Acacia 2 have been snapped up. (Again, no, I haven't entirely written that second volume yet, but it's coming. It's coming!)

So, my French publisher is to be Hors Collections, part of Le Pre Aux Clercs. The cover images here are from a few of the folks they already publish: Guy Gavriel Kay, Stephen R. Donaldson and Naomi Novik. Good company to be in, huh?

I don't have an exact pub date yet, but it looks like they're planning on unleashing it on the French populace in 2008. Really, I couldn't be happier about it. Sounds like the publisher feels very good about the book, really likes it and has great plans for how to promote it. I'm also chuffed that Le Pre Aux Clercs wasn't the only publisher going after it! Good to feel wanted.

And this just when I was starting to think things were slowing down... Oh, by the way, this isn't the news I can't talk about yet. I should probably stop talking about not being able to talk about that and stick to the things I can talk about...

Wonder what the cover will look like?...

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger John Dent said...

Huzzah! Finally, they've snapped you up!
There's something about reading texts in French that's a little magical. :)

11:07 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

I'm sure. I won't be having that magical feeling myself, I'm afraid, but here's to those of you that will/can!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

French is such a beautiful language.

Here's to the future success of le Monde Connu. :)

10:19 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Huh?... Le monde connu what?

12:24 AM  
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

The Known World. :)

8:56 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Got it!

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read Acacia!! Actually that's a really great news because i'm not able to read a whole books in english (i spend too much time in dictionnary) and i've heard a lot of good things about your book.

3:11 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Anonymous, So I have one French reader already waiting? Wonderful...

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you have more than one french readers waiting i guess. The website "elbakin" reported the new about the translation! You should take a look there :
http://www.elbakin.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5015

Sorry for the "anonymous" message!

6:08 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Sylvain,

Thanks for that link to elbakin. It led me to discover a French version of an interview I did. I love it. I sound so smart in French!

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome David!
Happy to make you discover your own words!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Temporel said...

Great news, your book directly sparked my interest, however I'm also a french reader, so I'm patient, confident that Acacia will be a book I like, dunno why, just has a nice sounds, a untold charm. Really hope the translation will be up to your writing. Hoping to dream in your world soon.

11:31 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

SA_Avenger,

It's wonderful to know I have another French reader waiting. I'm very hopeful the translation will be good. The publisher is very enthusiastic, and it sounds like they like the book for all the right reasons. Hopefully, they will pass that on to French readers with a good translation.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home