Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Special" Course with Edward P Jones...

at George Washington University, featuring... ME!

The description is as follows...

The English Department is pleased to announced that Edward P. Jones will be teaching a special one credit course for a small number of GW students.

English 193 (Studies in Contemporary Literature) will meet four Monday evenings in February from 6-7:30. Students will read four novels and discuss them with Mr. Jones: David Anthony Durham, GABRIEL'S STORY; Mary Lavin, IN A CAFE; Chaim Potok, THE CHOSEN; and Richard Wright, UNCLE TOM'S CHILDREN. Only ten students will be admitted to the class.

Do you know how much this excites me? Edward P Jones is the Pulitzer Prize winning author of All Aunt Hagar's Children, The Known World and Lost in the City. He's big time, having won just about every literary award and accolade this country has to offer. We've met before, and we even did an interview together a few years back for Mississippi Public Television (along with Jeffrey Lent), but still I'm thrilled that he thinks enough of my work - my first novel, at that - to include it on such a short list with those other incredible writers. I'm very pleased...

Here's the announcement.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Having read the book I can say it's certainly not out of place. It kinda reminded me of Elmore Leonard's westerns but with a little more lyrical gloss to it.

On a similar note, my cousin wrote a book that seems to be finding its calling as course reading. You'd probably like it. It's called Flight of the Goose and her name is Lesley Thomas.

9:24 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Erika,

Congrats to your cousin.

As for Elmore Leonard... I don't mind admitting that I read some of his westerns while writing the book. He was an influence.

-D.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,

That's awesome news, man. I so love that book, still remember the day I found it, a week after my son was born, two and a half yrs ago. It got me through a lot of sleepless nights. Congrats, again.

10:50 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Thanks, Drew. That's wonderful to hear.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Bryan Russell said...

Congrats, David. I haven't read his short stories, but Jones' The Known World was brilliant. A great book. Sounds like an interesting class, anyway, so I hope it's a blast.

My best, as always,
Bryan Russell

12:23 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Bryan,

You should try his stories. They're wonderful also.

-David.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home