Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Graveyard Book

I just this minute learned that Neil Gaiman has won the American Library Associations Newberry Medal today! I'm thrilled by that. I haven't read the The Graveyard Book yet, but I have to admit I think about Neil at some point every day. Does that sound weird? Well, I'll offer that for one thing I'm teaching Stardust in a Popular Fiction class at Cal State University. So that's part of it.

Of course, there's more. Like I can't get over how much I admire the way Neil walks the world. I've seen him with tons and tons of fans, but he never showed getting tired or impatient with anyone. He's quite gracious, and I find the range and diversity of his work very inspiring.

What it comes down to is this: when I grow up I want to be like Neil. Considering that I'll be forty in a few months, I'm on a rather tight schedule to achieve this, by the way. Wish me luck.

(Oh, and have I mentioned that Neil has, at least on on occasion, read my blog. "Hurrah!")

Anyway, congrats to Neil. I'm sure this award is deserved, and I very much look forward to reading it myself. Here's Neil's Post about getting the news.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually saw him read a portion of this two years ago at the Fantasy Matters conference (where we first met, David, though you probably don't remember since it was about a two second hello and goodbye), before the book had even come out...and was blown away, not just by the book but by his reading of it (I'm really pleased to hear authors who know how to read their own work). I bought a copy late last year and read it to my daughter (though at one year old she probably wasn't getting the subtlety :) ), and it's just as good in print. I'm really glad to hear about the award!

2:50 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Yeah, he's an terrific reader. I've listened to him quite a bit on audio, enough so that I read his work with the cadence and character of his voice in mind. Good stuff, that...

11:58 AM  
Blogger A. Hartman Adams said...

So glad you're a fan of his audio, as I was just about to recommend listening to TGB. I reviewed it for work and just loved it. There aren't too many who can read their own work as well as Gaiman can.

Happy listening!

12:58 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

I know. He could be a professional voice person. Glad he keeps to the writing, though.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home