Friday, September 12, 2008

Shawn's Donation Page

Shawn Speakman wrote me recently regarding a fundraising event he's part of for cancer research. You may know that Shawn's a cancer survivor, so he's a great reminder of how important it is to give a bit of our time and energy to fighting an illness that, sooner or later, is likely to touch us all in some way. (Me, I lost my mother back in 2001. Only took a few months, friends. And it wasn't a good few months.)

Anyway, here's a bit of what Shawn wrote:

It's that time of year again -- the time to celebrate that I am in fact still alive!

All kidding aside, most of you know my story of being diagnosed with cancer, fighting it with chemotherapy for three months after surgery, and having since thanked every day for the great medical care I received at Virginia Mason here in Seattle. It seems so long ago to me now but every day thousands of people are faced with what I had to face on March 6th, 2001, and every year I try my best to give back in the only way I can -- asking for your money to support a great cause.


The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society holds a walk here in Seattle every year and this year it is on September 20th. I know, I know: I am coming at this late in the charity season. But over the last three years your generosity has donated thousands of dollars, dollars that have either helped someone who specifically or take research one step further in understanding this terrible disease.


Please, visit
Shawn's Donation Page and give in whatever amount you can. Times are tough now, but even $5 helps. And those of you who live local: if you want to walk around Greenlake with me in solidarity with hundreds and hundreds of other cancer survivors and supporters, contact me and I'll give you the information!

I'll be making a donation. I'll hope you consider doing so as well.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home