Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Another Launch Day

So, this is it. August 26th. Acacia, the paperback, will pop up like a fungus on bookshelves across the nation. At least, I'm hoping it will. (And anchor is hoping it will, since they printed enough copies of the thing to cause considerable contamination.)

So, you may be wondering, what changes for David on this momentous day? Well, I may answer, not much. Naw. Pretty much a regular day. I taught my first session of one class last night. I'll be getting ready for the first of my other class meetings on Wednesday. Also writing a bit of The Other Lands, spending a little time online. I've got a doctor's appointment in there somewhere. Need to take some dvds back to Blockbuster and a few books back to the library. I'll have to throw something together for dinner for the family, probably watch a bit of the Democratic Convention later. Read before bed, and then get up and do most of it over again.

Yes, I will check Amazon a few times as well. I probably won't get out to Borders or B&N today, though. I did that on the day that Gabriel's Story came out back in 2001. It was a surprisingly muted experience. Yes, my book was there on the new release shelf, but damn, there were so many other books in that place! Needle in a haystack, it felt like, and I was there hoping people were going to get pricked. That was, of course, a first novel. Things are different now. In some ways. Just the same in others. But still, my life goes on quite normally. Things to do. Books to write. Donuts to make. This is a good thing, really.

On another note, Fantasy Book Critic is doing a giveaway. He's got five copies of the paperback to doll out to folks. Click over and sign up for one. (And if you win one, please consider buying another copy, just to like balance the karmic scales and all that.)

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Mary Robinette Kowal said...

Happy Mass Market Launch Day!

3:19 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

I should have a party, shouldn't I? I think I will, but it will mostly entail me tossing the kids around the pool...

5:04 PM  
Blogger Corby Kennard said...

As long as you are tossing them IN the pool, not OUT of the pool onto the concrete. That's not quite as much fun.

Is this your first MM paperback? I hope it does really well. While I know you enjoy teaching (at least, I think you do), how cool would it be to sit home, no human contact, hunched over a laptop, writing writing writing all day five or six days a week ...

On second thought, you should probably keep the teaching job.

Congrats!

8:38 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Paranoyd,

Yes, it's a watery thing. Although I'll admit I've had some close calls. Or, I should say, the kids have had some close calls.

This is my first MM paperback. Whole new experience for me. Very interested to see how it goes. And, just so you know, there is an angry, thumping hermit that lives in my chest, a grouchy bastard that wants to do nothing but live in imagined worlds, while spending a little time with family, friends and nature in this world. I hope to make this guy happy one day. Need to, because he's beating the hell out of my ribs.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, David. Real life goes on... but we can certainly enjoy the nice moments along the way.

My best,
Bryan

2:54 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Yeah, things have gotten a bit lax in the enjoyment of the moment thing, though. I had to remind my wife this morning that the book came out yesterday.

She said, "Oh, forgot about that..."

Of course, she rightfully points out that I announce all sorts of things on the blog that fail to mention to the people actually physically around me. Strange, that.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Mark Lavallee said...

You should get them all pocket PC's, then they'd have no excuse.

Congrats on the MM launch. I haven't visited the blog for a while, so I completely missed it.

But, there is a planned expedition to the book store this weekend, so I'll keep my eyes open. Of course, the Penny Arcade Expo is the weekend too.... ;)

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home