Tuesday, August 12, 2008

If Only Jeff VanderMeer Were A World Fantasy Judge This Year...

If he was, maybe I'd have made the list of finalists for best novel. But he's not, and I didn't. (Sad face.)

I learned this news via his Omnivoracious Amazon Blog, from his post: World Fantasy Award Finalists Announced-- Gone Trad? Click over and read his thoughts on it.

Spontaneous Derivation also mentions me as a finalist pick: A Quick Note of the 2008 World Fantasy Awards. Thanks for that. (It's funny, as well, because that post features Kindle content/subjects, and links to the Kindle version of Acacia. Hi Arachne Jericho.)

And Yendi had a few words on the subject: World Fantasy Awards.

Thanks to all of them for the kind mentions, and for placing me in the rather grand company of some of the others that didn't make the list. (Think Patrick Rothfuss, Dan Simmons, Ekaterina Sedia, Scott Lynch, Nalo Hopkinson, Daniel Abraham, John Crowley, Paul Park for example.) We should all get together and have a party at the Convention.

Don't get me wrong, though. I've nothing against the folks that are nominated. Actually... I haven't read any of the books in question. A couple of them I didn't even notice coming out, which is strange because I was looking. It's possible that I'll find a new favorite author from this list - and that's one of the things that awards are really about. (They can also be a kick in the pants that helps get my nose back into The Other Lands. There are books to be written!)

Here's the full list from the Locus website.

See any of your favorites there?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Dirk said...

I haven't read any of those either.

I read one of the short stories. It's free online here: http://www.kijjohnson.com/evolution.html

I'm in the middle of The Terror right now. It's quite a book.

10:41 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

The Terror is quite a book. Damn ambitious. Big. Solidly historical but also filled with supernatural terror.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Corby Kennard said...

The Terror is getting some serious reads from the fantasy/scifi crowd.

Which actually kinda fits because, well, finish the book!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Dirk said...

Last night I read the passage I think you are referring to in your post from a while ago about 'undiluted scum'.

What a bastard that guy is!

11:41 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Yep, you probably have. Hard to read, isn't it? No, no... don't do that. You bastard! You're ruining everything at the moment that...

3:36 PM  
Blogger Dirk said...

I finally finished it. I'm glad Simmons brought it all together so well at the end.

Those were some tough dudes back then.

1:21 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Yeah, I liked the end, too. For hundreds of pages its pretty hard to see how the story can end with any sort of a positive outcome for any of them. But he pulls off something rather unexpected, and yet fundamental to threads woven through the entire novel. Impressive.

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home