Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Denvention Not Happening For Me

I'm sad to say I'm not going to be going to WorldCon this year. I'm bummed about it, but some familial stuff has come up that I simply have to deal with. Family first. So this time I'll be missing out on the fun.

I have tapped a friend to be on hand at the Hugo ceremony. On the very off chance that I'm the person called up for the John W. Campbell Award there will be somebody there to pick it up for me and to say a few over emotional words.

If you're going, have a great time! Me... Well, I'll start setting my sights on the next World Fantasy...

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Mary Robinette Kowal said...

You will be missed.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Constance Brewer said...

Ah, David... We'll miss you! But I agree, family first. (I'll have to mail you the stuff for the kids.)
I'll drink a beer for you though. A GOOD beer. :)

Take care.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Corby Kennard said...

Well, that's a shame, but since I wasn't able to go anyway, I won't miss you. ;)

Hope the family stuff works out well.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Aw poo, miss ya.

Hope the family stuff all turns out OK, and see you in Calgary.

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But I was looking forward to the Youtube clips of you crying at the acceptance speech...

Take care.

Bryan

10:38 AM  
Blogger Meghan said...

Family first, I agree. Still it's too bad you won't get to be there. Oh well. Next year, right?

7:21 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Thanks folks! I'm checking other people's Denvention posts now and definitely missing being there, but it's okay. Things here in Durham-land will be well, and there will be more cons.

Constance, bummed that we won't meet! I hope you're having fun there, though, and that the beer is good and consumed in great company.

Bryan, there might have been YouTube videos of me crying, but I'm not at all sure it would be at the "acceptance" speech. Might just have panned over to me sobbing in my seat as (insert winner here) strides up to the podium...

11:50 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

*Written After the Hugo Ceremony*

If I'd just said "me sobbing in my seat as (insert winner here) strides up to the podium in her ballgown" I'd have seemed a prophetic.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Mary Robinette Kowal said...

Well, I appreciate the subtlety. It's more prophetic if it's unclear.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home