Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Good Vibes Needed

Today, folks (and for next few weeks, actually) I'd love to have your positive energy. You see, The Other Lands concluded my existing book contracts with Doubleday. I've done all five novels with them so far, and I think things have gone quite well. Of course, each new deal brings a new set of surprises, and I've known for a few months that I was going to be pitching my next book in a free falling economy. Being prone to bouts of exuberant positivity (I'm joking about that) I decided to quit my day job before having that new contract in hand (I'm not joking about this part), and after my publisher went through a major restructuring. Go figure.

I've been working on a proposal for the concluding book in the Acacia trilogy for some time now. I chipped away at it slowly, layering in more and more details as they came to me. Fortunately, I can now say the fricking book makes sense to me! I know what happens. I see it. I like it. It exists - although only in a summarized version of about 24 pages. Oh, and at a bit more length in my head.

Recently, I sent that proposal to my agent. We went back and forth about it and about other aspects of what we'd look for in a new book deal. Yesterday we decided it was ready, and today he will have initiated the pitch and discussions with my editor. It'll be a few weeks, probably, before I know just what's gonna happen.

This is where your good vibes come in. Send them to me. Shoot them out to my editor. Make sure he knows at some cosmic level that you want this thing finished. Convince him that David and family should be allowed to eat and live indoors the next few years...

If it works, I'll be most grateful to you.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Child of Albion said...

Sending along good vibrations. May you get to eat, have a home, and keep on doing what you love. And-- may we, your readers, get to keep enjoying your work.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Corby Kennard said...

I will you best wishes of the most exuberant kind.

I'll expect nothing less when I send my manuscript out to agents.

Fair is fair. ;)

7:21 PM  
Blogger Mary Robinette Kowal said...

Vibrating for you!

7:21 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Oh my...

7:34 PM  
Blogger Laughton and Patricia Johnston said...

Bousta power full on!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Kate Elliott said...

Good luck!

1:35 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Thanks, Kate!

And I'm very glad to have that Bousta power. Strong stuff that is.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Erika Hamerquist said...

I will buy at least one copy of everything you ever write and will tell all my reader friends how great your work is. For what that's worth to your editor ....

2:31 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Erika,

You're awesome. That counts for an awful lot, believe me.

2:35 PM  
Blogger slkcivil said...

Best wishes on your agreement and in writing Acacia #3!

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Greg Wilson said...

Absolutely, positive vibes heading your way. But I wouldn't worry, David...you're a known quantity at this point. Doubleday would be insane not to give you a good deal. What happens when you bring them your Campbell nomination (or if you win, your award)? Laugh and turn you away? Not a chance.

And while I'm on the Campbell subject--did you know that Tony is also one of the potential contributors to the project of which we've spoken before (he said mysteriously)?

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Stephanie Denise Brown said...

Many, many positive vibes and good thoughts transmitting your way from L.A.

2:36 AM  
Anonymous Michael N. said...

Good luck to you. Writing is either a passion you do out of love, or a means to survive because you have become indebted to it. Focus on the passion and you will never be disapointed.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Shawn C. Speakman said...

David: Considering TOL is one of the most looked forward to books of 2009, I'm sure your agent will not have a hard time procuring your next contract. It may be fewer books because of the economy, but I'm sure the money will mostly be there.

And if it is, be sure to tip your webmaster, will ya? He's poor. *grins*

7:45 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Shawn,

"TOL is one of the most looked forward to books of 2009"? That's nice to hear. Make sure to tell people that whenever possible. ;)

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home