Thursday, February 05, 2009

An "Oh no..." Moment

I just had one. I'm talking about writing now. Creative process. I'm still polishing up a few scenes of The Other Lands, adding a bit here and there. I just two minutes ago wrote a line in which one character defines the relationship he/she has to another character. It was an innocuous enough line, I thought. But the moment after I wrote it I realized it's a line that announces that character's eventual death!

Ah... I didn't mean it. It just happened. This bit of fate won't come into play until the third book, but still, the seed is planted in fertile ground. It can't help but grow. There's not a thing I can do about it...

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Meghan said...

"It was an innocuous enough line, I thought. But the moment after I wrote it I realized it's a line that announces that character's eventual death!"

SPOILERS!!!111

6:32 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Meghan,

Wait, you don't mean that's a spoiler, do you? I haven't said anything just whom I'm talking about, and I'd to think that a reader won't even notice when they reach that point in the book. It's just that I, as the writer, see that in the line there is the coded language of a bad rune throw...

Of course, you know that characters in my books will die. That's a given...

6:39 PM  
Blogger Constance Brewer said...

I think Meghan was just pointing out your Evilness in teasing us. *g*

Hey, some of us always look for hidden meanings in what we read. it's cool when it all comes together like that. Even when someone has to die...

10:49 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

I note that Evilness is with a capital E. I like that...

11:13 PM  
Blogger Mark Lavallee said...

Oh Lord, don't tell me Corrin lives THAT long!!! ;)

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Manomanomanoman I cannot wait this longgg! :-) I can't even imagibe who it is, but I'm actually hoping it's not Corrin; she's an incredible character!

9:57 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Some hate her...

Some love her...

Perfect. :)

1:47 PM  
Blogger Corby Kennard said...

"You die, she dies ... EVERYbody dies." - Heavy Metal

Well, as I said to someone the other day, the resolution to a story need not be happy, as long as it is satisfying.

7:06 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Paranoyd,

There may come a day when I'll be quoting you on that...

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home