Saturday, January 17, 2009

Catalog Copy

My publisher just sent me the copy they'll be using in the catalog that will feature The Other Lands. Kinda cool to see it. Makes things feel that much more real when someone else writes up a description of the book. Makes me go, "Oh, yeah, that sounds like what I wrote! I remember that!"

Strange how unreal a novel you wrote can feel. Not until I get a bound copy in my hands do I really believe in the thing. But promo material like this helps. Here's the pitch...

(Spoilers - Don't read if you have yet to read the first book but plan to.)

The Other Lands
Book Two of the Acacia Trilogy
David Anthony Durham

CATALOG HANDLE

The thrilling new installment in the alternative epic that the Washington Post called "gripping" and "sophisticated... from the first pages, Durham demonstrates that he is master of the literary epic."

DESCRIPTIVE COPY

The apocalyptic struggle against the conquering Mein now won, Queen Corinn rules over the Acacian Empire of the Known World with a stern hand - aided by increasing mastery of the occult powers contained in the Book of Elenet. But far across the seas the mysterious inhabitants of the Other Lands seemingly control the fate of her empire - supported as it is by an underground trade in drugs and slaves. When she sends her brother Dariel on a secret mission across the hazardous Grey Slopes to investigate, it begins another cycle of world-shattering and shaping events.

In this bold and imaginative sequel, David Anthony Durham's epic imagination continues to expand the Known World of the novel into yet undiscovered lands, drawing on a literary tradition that stretches from The Iliad to George R.R. Martin.

PRAISE FOR ACACIA

"A big, fat, rich piece of history-flavored fantasy... Imagined with remarkable thoroughness." - Time


"Thrilling... Durham's new world - like our old one - is crawling with wickedly fascinating [characters]." - Entertainment Weekly


AUTHOR BIO

David Anthony Durham earned an MFA from the University of Maryland and is the author of Gabriel's Story, Walk Through Darkness, Pride of Carthage, and Acacia. Durham lives with his wife and children in California and teaches writing at the University of California, Fresno.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Im just happy you had the book written in a timely fashion. It seems like you and Brandon Sanderson are the only two big names capable of doing so. Rothfuss is doing so many rewrites hes had to have had a million words down by now, Scott Lynch is completely MIA, Joe Abercrombie is somewhere in the middle as far as speed goes because I think the first three were written before the first was even released, and GRRM is....well....hopeless. So I just wanted to say thank you for actually making your fans happy and getting your work done.

10:01 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Hey Travis,

Thanks. That's nice of you to say. The very notion that I have fans still humbles me - and makes me want to work harder to be worthy of them.

I can't say a bad thing against any of the writers you mentioned. I know how hard it can be to shape a story idea into a finished product, and I know from experience that it's a lot easier to promise to write a series of novels than it is to actually do it.

That said, I'm going to work more and more toward consistently producing in the years to come. It can be done, and I want to be one of the ones that does it!

-D.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home