Saturday, March 15, 2008

Reading Deutsch

The German copies of Acacia: The War with the Mein just arrived in the mail! I'm very pleased, and a bit aghast at how big the thing is in German. It's like Moby Dick sized... I hadn't quite expected that sort of heft. But it's lovely. The cover image works wonderfully, and it has nice inside flaps, even though it's a trade paperback. Even has the map of the Known World inside. That's quite cool because, of course, everything has been translated in to German. The League Platforms become Schwimmende Plattformen Der Gilde. The Gray Slopes are Die Grauen Hauge. Palishdock is Weisshafen, and Methalian Rim is Methalischer Rand. I like this. Makes it feel like the book has grown up, left home to travel and returned with a foreign fiancee. One wonders where the children will call home?...

My son, Sage, snatched the book up and promptly began reading. He's big into reading now, especially since he's begun Harry Potter. (Word by word, baby. It's no picnic, but he's getting it done.) He took a break from that and really seemed to get into Acacia Macht und Verrat. We reminded him that it was in German, but he didn't seem put off by that. He's homeschooled, you know, and not easily daunted by things like language barriers...

Having said that, much later in his reading, he did admit: "Man, this is hard to read."

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Corby Kennard said...

Awesome kid.

How tough has it been homeschooling? Especially with your writing?
Or is your wife taking care of that while you work?

Right now I'm finding it difficult to get time to write, since I'm Mr. Mom, but I've still managed to get 2000 words down in a couple days of writing. Only 48,000 - 68,000 to go! :)

2:47 AM  
Blogger Laughton and Patricia Johnston said...

I heard that Sage was reading, but Acacia in one sitting, from beginning to end, and in German too ...Aw Man!

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No wonder it's that big.
German translations of english texts usually are 1/3 to 1/4 bigger than the original.
(~600 pages english hardcover, ~800 pages german trade PB)
That's why they often split the books in two over here.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Tia Nevitt said...

I took German in high school. I'm not surprised it's so thick.

As for your son reading German . . . my daughter has decided that she prefers to use the Spanish feature on her learning laptop. So she's learning to spell in Spanish. Kids aren't daunted by language.

11:34 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Paranoyd,

Sometimes homeschooling feels really tough and daunting. Other times it feels completely natural and obvious. It's both, really. Yes, my wife does most of it, although she'd say I help by... well, by being "around".

Good work on getting the words down. I'm not finding it too easy myself, what with the teaching job to manage. Slow and steady, though. It's happening.

Laughton,

I think he was really just looking for the scene of mass battlefield nudity. Don't think he found it...

Teich,

Yeah, makes sense. I wonder if they thought of splitting it? My Italian edition will be split in two. The split comes around 300 pages in. It definitely leaves everything up in the air, but no more so than plenty of other books.

Tia,

True enough.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[quote]Teich,

Yeah, makes sense. I wonder if they thought of splitting it? My Italian edition will be split in two. The split comes around 300 pages in. It definitely leaves everything up in the air, but no more so than plenty of other books.[/quote]

I bet they definitly thought about it. But am thankfull they didn't split it. I guess 800 pages was very close to the edge.
I've finally started reading the book today and I'm on page ~200.
So far I really love it.

4:29 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Teich,

That's good news.

-David.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Lol, that's cute.

My niece started learning English age four, after a visit of my nieces from America who grow up bilingual. She was fascinated by that. Now she has started school and teaches the other kids English words. :)

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home