Friday, June 17, 2011

Moving. I'm Moving.

Figured I should mention it since the day of departure is actually rather near. I'm moving. If you've visited the old blog here you'll know that it's not the first time. I'm in Massachusetts now, but not too long ago I was in Fresno, CA. Before that I was in Colorado Springs, CO. Before that Shutesbury, MA. Before that Dunkeld, Scotland. Before that some variation (not necessarily in this order) of: Lake Tahoe, CA... Forneth, Scotland... Albertville, France... Basalt, CO... Hadley, MA... Coloma, CA... Portland, OR... Eugene, OR... Annapolis, MD... Edinburgh, Scotland...

Okay, I should stop. That covers about fifteen years, give or take a few small moves that don't merit mention. So, I've gotten around. No, I've not been running from the law. I'm really not that other David Anthony Durham. For most of these moves I've been married and dragging two groovy kids around behind me. I'm a writer; my wife's a knitwear designer; we both work from home and aren't too tide to any one locale. That remains the case. This time, though, the wife and groovy kids are leading the way. They're heading back to Scotland in just a few weeks. (For the record, my wife is Scottish. More about her HERE.) I've got some teaching and some events to do (Stonecoast, Clarion, ComicCon!) and then I'll be joining them.

Photo moment. This what I look like in Scotland, hanging out with Scots. Chillin.

Our new home? We'll be landing in lovely, totally picturesque Aberfeldy. You can check the Visit Aberfeldy website if you want to take a gander at the place. (JK Rowling used to have a house there. Maybe she still does. Maybe I'll stop in and say hello...)

I do know the area. I lived not far from Aberfeldy before. I even raft guided on the River Tay for a while. Great place to recreate. To take long walks. To get wet. To bluster. To write books. (Good internet, too, so I'll likely be blogging more.)

I've been back and forth to Scotland quite a few times even since moving back the US, but I haven't lived there since my first UK publication - Hannibal: Pride of Carthage. Very pleased, then, to be going back as a writer with a few books published in the UK. (Let's hope that continues.) I've already signed up to go to British FantasyCon in Brighton this September, and I've got promises from Charles Stross and Hal Duncan to drag me around Edinburgh and Glasgow, meeting literary types. Should be great fun.

I'm looking forward to it for many, many reasons.

So, when you're planning your next European vacation, consider Scotland. There's a lovely bookstore/cafe in Aberfeldy. We could meet up for a coffee...

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Bryan Russell said...

Looks beautiful. And aren't your in-laws living in an island just off the coast somewhere?

4:57 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

Good luck with the move! As someone who also lives in Massachusetts and dearly loves Scotland, I am jealous! (But quite happy for you.)

8:57 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

My in-laws do live on an island, but it's not just off the coast. They live in Shetland, the northernmost of the British Isles. It's a short flight up, but otherwise it's an overnight ferry ride to get there. Very cool place!

8:54 AM  
Blogger M Harold Page said...

Congratulations on the move! If you make it as far as Edinburgh, you'll find its a hive of SFnal talent - I think you'll like some of the locals.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Cool. Scotland is a great place to live.

There's a gang of (Roman) historical fiction wirters in Scotland, too. Ben Kane (whose first book of a Hannibal trilogy is out right now), Douglas Jackson, Manda Scott ...

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home