Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Tiara and the Kids

I was going to offer you a tiara picture, but my computer really isn't letting me upload them. Pain in the butt. I can, however, link to my wife's blog. She's got a few photos up. This was a family affair you know. *Note: I've just managed to sneak a few photos in here, but there are a couple more at Gudrun's site.

The fact that Gudrun and the kids were there was one of the absolute best parts of the entire Worldcon/Hugo/Campbell experience. Before the ceremony, they were so nervous and excited. At the pre-Hugo party, Maya put her energy into doodling and came up with this funky cat....

Apparently an artist (I'm not sure who) happened by and paused to gawk over it. Cool.

As they sat beside me in the auditorium during the ceremony they kept looking at me, looking at the screen, looking at mom. Sage couldn't stop his legs from wiggling and squiggling. And when they called me name... Ah, man. Sure, I was excited, but the kids were balls of energy. During my speech I mentioned them all by name, and could see Sage's hair bouncing up and down as he jumped. Awesome.

The first photo of me... well, bare in mind that the auditorium was enormous. I mean, they had these two massive jumbo-tron screens on either side of the stage - that's what that first photo is of. It's me with about a ten foot smile on. There were rows and rows of people. I was just trying to make sure they all knew I was happy...

You'll also see me and Maya and Sage on stage at the Hugos. It felt really wonderful to be able to pull these guys up and share the stage with them for a moment. Had the pleasure of introducing them to GRRM also. Was nice because they had a hand in developing my Wild Cards character, and the man himself got to thank them for that and ask them a few questions. I don't suppose it hurt my status in the family to have stood next to Neil Gamain, and to have held his Hugo! The photo of us side by side is pretty blurry, but so was my mind right about then...

It was all so good that after the ceremony Maya developed an instant, pounding headache. They had to leave the after-party early. But still, we all enjoyed it.

Now, let me say this as well. As happy as I am about all of this I also think I have a pretty good grip on what it does and does not mean. No delusions of grandeur here, just joy at all the pieces falling together in my favor for once. I'll post about this soon. I've promised to write on the topic for Suvudu. When I do I'll let you know.

Okay, I'm off to mow the lawn. It's a lot more fun in a tiara...

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Mark Lavallee said...

Congrats David, you're a fabulous Tiara model!

The kids look too cool up there with you! Congrats!

11:33 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Thanks. The kids were very happy...

11:45 AM  
Blogger Bryan Russell said...

Hope you kept the cat picture... what a beautiful memento of a wonderful moment.

And I take it back: you look just as good in that tiara as Ms. Robinette Kowal.

11:49 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

I don't know. I may look alright in the thing, but Mary OWNED it.

And yes, we kept that picture. It's in the Hugo Awards Program, actually. Very cool.

11:52 AM  
Blogger A. Hartman Adams said...

That's awesome, David! Congratulations. Oh, and Sage has some amazing hair in that picture...no wonder you could see it from the stage.

Well done!

1:03 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Yes. He stands out in a crowd these days.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Shauna Leigh Atkinson said...

Great pic and congrats again! It was my first experience voting in something like this and it was fun to learn my vote went to the winner!!! Great job.

Also, I love Maya's drawing, she is going to be famous one day! My husband drew a lot growing up,and still does some now, so I have a soft spot for artists... Plus I love cats. Great job Maya! :-) Hmmm... maybe she has her own blog I could give her props on?
Take care,
Shauna

5:52 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Shauna,

Thanks for that vote, by the way. I needed everyone!

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David,

I just wanted to say that I was sitting across the aisle and a couple of rows back from your family, and it was a delight to see you all so happy when your name was called.

I'll admit that I hadn't heard of you before the ceremony, but I now have a copy of Acacia sitting about two feet away from me, ready for me to start reading it (as soon as I finish wasting time on blogs that is).

Best of luck to you in all you do in the future, and I'm looking forward to reading your book.

Nigel

12:15 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Nigel,

Thanks for writing. So good to hear you were at the ceremony and witnessed our very real joy. And thanks for picking up Acacia. I hope you like it!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home