Sunday, August 09, 2009

Another Con Day, Another Con Anxiety

Okay. Crunch day behind me now. It all went quite well, I think. No major gaffs at the panels, and lots of laughs. I particularly enjoyed the "We Are the Knights Who Say F***" panel with Guy Gavriel Kay, Patrick Rothfuss, Marc Gascoigne and special guest Ellen Kushner. Smart bunch of folks, those.

I even had it in me to spend some time up on the party floor, at the Brotherhood without Banners (GRRM's fan club) and at a smaller function to celebrate Paolo Bacigalupi's release of The Windup Girl. I spent perhaps too much time eying Mary Robinette Kowal's Campbell Tiara...

Which brings me to today. Today culminates in the Hugo Award Ceremony. I'm really curious to how it plays out for everyone, especially as I have some real favorites in the running. Overshadowing it all, though, is that I remain one of five contenders for that tiara. Somewhere the award plaque exists already, with somebody's name carved in it. But whose? About twelve hours from now, the world (at least as much of it that cares) will know.

Other stuff - Kate Nepveu - with whom I actually just had a panel here at Anticipation - recently posted a review of Acacia: The War with the Mein on Tor.com. She said lovely things about it. You can read it HERE. She's very smart.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Antiqueight said...

Congratulations - Look forward to seeing you in the Tiara - I will be looking forward to reading your work thanks to hearing about you through the Hugos

8:41 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Congratulations Sir, and enjoy your tiara! I'm sure you'll look great with it on!

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just heard the good news -- well deserved congrats!

9:13 PM  
Anonymous cedunkley said...

Congratulations on winning the Campbell Award. I just bought Acacia last weekend and really look forward to reading it.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Sean Markey said...

Congrats, sir! Very cool.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Kate Nepveu said...

Tiara! Wooo! Congratulations!

(Also, aw shucks.)

12:00 AM  
Blogger Corby Kennard said...

I'd like to think I had a small hand in helping you win that tiara.
No, I didn't vote.
No, I didn't campaign.
No, I didn't attend the con.
But that doesn't mean it wasn't my doing.

You're welcome. ;)
**
Seriously - Congrats, David. You deserve it. You put in a lot of hard work on this, and it shows. Well done, sir.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Shawn C. Speakman said...

David: Congrats! I hope you toasted a drink -- to yourself!!!

1:33 AM  
Blogger Kate Elliott said...

Whoa! Did you win? That is AWESOME!

Congrats! and: Whoo-hoo!

1:47 AM  
Blogger Karen Mahoney said...

Congratulations, David!! I can't wait to see a photo of you in that tiara. ;)

5:01 AM  
Blogger Laughton and Patricia Johnston said...

I really feel I can use that word 'awesome' here! Fantastic David.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Jim C. Hines said...

Congratulations on the new tiara!!!

Can't wait to hear the report! I trust there shall be pictures as well? ;-)

7:49 AM  
Blogger David Louis Edelman said...

Congrats, man! Very pleased to see you take the tiara this year.

8:45 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Thank you, thank you! Last night was really, really wonderful. I'm happy to say that waking up this morning is pretty nice too. I feel like a very lucky writer at the moment.

9:32 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

And now that I know what the vote count was I know I was a VERY lucky writer - as in, by a VERY slim margin...

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home