Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Kedgeree

Yesterday in the comments section of another post I mentioned that my brother in law was making kedgeree for dinner. Not sure if this is a familiar dish for everyone, but as it was so bloody good I had to say a bit more about it. Wikipedia defines it thusly...

Kedgeree (or occasionally kitcherie, kitchari or kitchiri) is a dish consisting of flaked fish (usually smoked haddock), boiled rice, eggs and butter. The dish originated from Scotland and was taken to India by Scottish troops during the Brisith Raj, where it was adapted and adopted as part of Indian cuisine.

I define it as supremely yummy.

By the way, you'll forgive me, won't you, if my posts for the next little bit are decidedly family, food, drink and holiday oriented, right? I hope so, cause that's the vibe I'm riding at the moment. I hope you are too.

Here's a recipe, should you wish to try this at home, and here's the man himself, on the move in the kitchen...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

Fabulous dish. Love it. Sadly it is very hard to get hold of smoked haddock in California. I've tried it with smoked trout, which is OK, but it is not the same.

1:37 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Cheryl,

Yes. I've feared that. But I keep saying to myself that it's not true. My memory is faulty. In truth, every SaveMart has smoked haddock, right? And kippers? And chunky bread ready to be slathered with butter and Marmite?...

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your family, food, drink, and holiday vibe is just what we need to enhance our own right now. So please--have at!

Rice (in its many forms) is one of my favorite things, but I've never had it with fish. The recipe sounds delicious. Must try.

2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home