Saturday, December 20, 2008

Reunited!

I'm happy to finally be able to say that I am safely in Shetland, reunited with my family after three months! Here's a quick pic of me and wife...

Yes, it is incredibly windy, with dramatic, ever-changing skies, and it's just as treeless as I remember. And the sheep haven't gotten any smarter. No worries, though. The cottage is cozy, filled with family, with both a peat and a coal stove, with broadband and tons of books and art and music, and even with a hi-tec projector and screen for watching films (Kung Fu Panda and Wall-E first up).

We're off to do some shopping just now in Lerwick, hoping that the ferry made it in this morning. The seas were quite rough last night, and if the boat doesn't make it across it means no fresh food! Ah, island life...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful, David, glad you're a;; back together! :-) But damn it looks cold there! Beautiful and peacefully stunning, but cold. :-)
Enjoy it! Hopefully your editor forgets Christmas because TOLs is so good, and then when you get back, finishing touches! :-)

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It all seems windy, wild, with a lot of space around and a good fireplace, a cosy feeling with loved ones...

MMh... happy Christmas to you all over there !

Best from Paris

T.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Corby Kennard said...

Wall-E is a truly wonderful film that deserves all the praise it received.

I like the artsy pic all black and white except for the green of the grass. Nice.

10:52 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Yeah. It's cold. It's rarely below freezing, so it's not that kind of cold. But it's really windy and the air is either really damp or just plain raining, with quick bursts of sleet every now and then. Don't get me wrong, though, it's pretty awesome.

4:54 AM  
Blogger Dirk said...

Sounds like a pretty awesome place.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Mark Lavallee said...

Glad to hear you made it! Love the pic, I like the black and white with the full color grass in the background, very cool!

Enjoy your stay! Sounds like paradise to me!

1:26 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Hey Dirk, Jax...

Thanks. Yeah. Things are good just now. At this very moment I'm in the cottage with my wife, two kids, and with my brother in law and his wife. We're listening to Cesaria Evora. Sage is on the floor putting together Star Wars Legos. Maya is spread out on the couch working on a novel. Gudrun is knitting some project. Helen is reading ZZ Packer. Jamie (my brother in law) is in the kitchen cooking kedgeree. We've got the peat stove going and the seas are fairly calm tonight. There are a few gin and tonics on the go, and I'm looking at an amber lager. I've just sent my grades in for my students from the fall semester. Ah... things are good.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home