Tuesday, April 01, 2008

100+ Amazon Reviews, a Look at the Numbers...

I had this idea a while back that it would be incredible when I reached 100 reader reviews on Amazon.com. I don't mean 100 reviews for a particular book (although that's going to be cool, too). I just mean when the total number of reviews for my four books added up to a century. I know, those reviews can be joy. They can be pain. They can be gushing missives from friends or hatchet jobs by enemies... But no matter what, as an author, it's hard not to keep an eye on them...

Well, I wasn't paying attention when the number turned, but it has! Actually, I only noticed when I was at 106 reviews. 106! Do you realize that there was once a time I had exactly 0 Amazon reader reviews? Crazy.

Okay, but how's the math look? Have things gone well? Positives above the negatives? Let's take a look...

For Acacia, it looks like this: (34 total)
20 Five Star
10 Four Star
0 Three Star
3 Two Star
1 One Star

For Pride of Carthage, it looks like this: (40 total)
18 Five Star
9 Four Star
5 Three Star
5 Two Star
3 One Star

For Walk Through Darkness, it looks like this: (14 total)
10 Five Star
4 Four Star
0 Three Star
0 Two Star
0 One Star

For Gabriel's Story, it looks like this: (18 total)
16 Five Star
1 Four Star
0 Three Star
1 Two Star
0 One Star

Adding those all up by Star rating: (106 total)

64 Five Star
24 Four Star
5 Three Star
9 Two Star
4 One Star

So that's the way the numbers fall. I'm happy with that. The stinker reviews are always disappointing, but they're also a sign that the books are getting read by a wider range of people - and by more people, which is important. I'm not saying I'd encourage you to go and write me a one starred "I don't like this book cause it sucks!" review, but there's a place for them...

Wait... What am I doing? It didn't really take me that long to put this post together, but still it's been 26 minutes of my life that I won't have back again to write meaningful fiction! Why didn't you stop me? My apologies. Man, Resistance can be devious. It can even get me doing math. Enough!

I'm going to write now...

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Corby Kennard said...

Nice!

Well done, sir!

And Congratulations!

10:16 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Thanks. It's kinda nice to see the books getting some history, readers accruing, things going well, etc. Of course, I'm also getting older all the time as well, but that can't be helped.

2:17 AM  
Blogger Andrea Eames said...

Well done! That is a milestone.

I wondered if I could ask you a question? (Not an attempt to distract you further from your writing) ...

I'm spending tomorrow sticking coloured post-its on my office wall trying to clarify my new book's plot - I'm a very visual person and I need to be able to see something concrete in order to 'see' the plot in my head. How do you keep all your plot threads clear and organised while you're writing?

4:09 AM  
Blogger Meghan said...

Bien hecho! Yoku dekimashita! Er...well done!

4:57 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Cat,

Hmmm... Strangely enough I don't write out a lot about the plot threads. I've always thought post-its are a GREAT idea, but I've never really done it. I should, and perhaps I will as Acacia grows. So far, though, I've tended to keep it all in my head or on the pages of the novel itself. I don't recommend this, but it's true...

Meghan,

Thank you. Er... I think.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home