Monday, January 14, 2008

Maybe Not Sooo Much of a Fixation...

I think my fixation with Amazon.de has already started to wear off. I'm not convinced I'll glean much useful information from it. Actually, I've noticed that some things have changed already. They had the pub date as January before, but now it's changed to February. That makes more sense, as that's what it says on the Blanvalet catalog. Anyway, I won't let it be the time killer it might have become.

What's quite cool, though, is that the interaction I've had with TD because of that last post has lead me to some interesting information about the German edition. Now, I can't confirm that this is a definite (just because numbers rarely are in publishing), but it looks like Blanvalet has announced a 50,000 print run of Acacia: The War with the Mein! Awesome. That's only happened once before, with the Italian paperback of Pride of Carthage. They've got my US publisher beat by a goodly bit! What's that mean, I wonder?

Anyway, when I looked for the catalog that TD directed me to I didn't find it initially. First, I found one that features Acacia. It's a lovely catalog, especially as the cover art is from my book! It doesn't say Acacia on the cover, but it's my image. And then at the very end of the catalog there's a full page spread on the book. Very nice. If you'd like to see the catalog you can click BLANVALET. I think that'll bring up the pdf...

But then I finally located the other catalog. It's HERE.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!

Now I know what happened!
I think I posted a link to the paperback catalogue, but it looks like you found the SF/Fantasy-catalogue :)
And yes, THAT has your book on the cover!

Concerning the release date:
If a paperback is announced as a February release, is usually appears in local book stores somewhere in January.
Could be in the beginning of the month, or even the end.
But usually in the month BEFORE the release date mentioned in the catalogues.

So the book is officially a February release but most (if not all) book stores should have it sometimes around mid January.

(Different to HardCover releases, which you won't see more than 2-3 days in advance in bookstores before the fixed release date...)

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh...

David,

sorry to confuse you with the german publishing model.
I didn't invent it.
*shrugs*

And lots of people tend to get confused too, by this "one month earlier in the shop" thing as well.
But since it's been working for this, the publishers and book stores are used to it.
And most customers don't really care, as long as they have the book in their hand. ;)

PS: And since I just finished another book, I really have to call my local book store tomorrow, if the Blanvalet delivery for February finally arrived! :)

Best Regards,
Bernd

8:35 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Okay. I think we've sorted that out.

It's a good thing, though. I'm glad to have both catalogs in my files now!

-David.

8:37 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Bernd,

Good idea. Call that store!

And I'm happy to get the information on German publishing. I'd like to be a part of it for a while, so the more I know the better...

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Durham,
another German reader here.
I bought ACACIA the day before yesterday. Have not started it yet, but I am looking forward to it.

This edition is defintely gorgeous to look at.

When I bought it, I had to pick up my copy from the floor, because it had only just arrived at the store and the clerks had not yet had a chance to put it on the shelves.

Best,
Olaf

11:50 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Hello Olaf,

Thanks for writing! I really appreciate these updates. Now I have visual image of you picking the book up and flipping through the pages. And I have an image of clerks unpacking it and finding shelf space for it. Thanks for that!

-David.

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too, me too!

I also bought it yesterday, but haven't posted it here, since I don't know if I have the time this weekend to start/finish the book.
Anyway, it really looks aweseome, even better than in the flyer from Blanvalet.


Funny note from the bookstore:
My bookseller told me that a woman came in the same morning looking for a fantasy book for her husband. Since that lady didn't have any idea, my bookseller warmly recommended "Acacia".
A couple of hours that same lady came back, and said she doesn't want this book, since she looked up the amazon.de review, and her husband only buys books with reviews having 4 or more stars.

My bookseller was quite surprised, but she pulled out a catalogue, where the salesperson from Blanvalet rated the books too.
To the surprise of the woman the salesman rated the book with 6 (SIX) stars out of five. :)
So my bookseller told the woman to keep this book, and if her husband really doesn't like it, she could always bring it back. But she told her, she doubt this will happen...

Best regards,
Bernd

5:13 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Bernd,

I'm feeling very connected and informed on the German life of my book now!

Thanks for this story. I'm happy to know the woman did buy the book. It's troubling to see that one reader review can sway someone against it, but, hopefully, more readers will be adding their opinions soon! (More positive ones, that is.)

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home