Monday, November 12, 2007

Why We Fight


Hi ya. So you all know about the Writers Guild strike, I'm sure. I have to admit I have some vested interest in seeing this thing get sorted out soon. There are people from this guild that would quite like to be going to work on bringing some of my fiction to film, but at the moment that's on hold. Bummer!

I don't know what you all think of this, although I'm inclined to believe you likely support the idea that writers should get paid fairly for their work - even if you deem it to be of questionable quality. If you're interested, here's a link to a YouTube video that a colleague alerted me to. It's a sort of whimsical Guild explanation for the strike.

Also, you could check out this petition and voice your support, if you do, indeed, support them.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I signed it although not sure what an opinion from the UK will do....
I think writing is a tough job and, like any other job, you should get paid for what you produce and are entitled for payment in whatever form your work evolves into.
JMS the creator of Babylon 5 is very active on the nets and advises that he does not make a penny from the video releases of B5 despite the fact he created, wrote and produced most of it. So I agree with the strike because, from what I understand of the industry, for the lower levels of success it is a hand to mouth affair where one bit of work may have to last you a looooong time.
Nick

6:50 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Hi Nick, Support from the UK is always welcome. I know the bottom line with the studios is always going to be about money, but it can't hurt for them to hear that folks do support the writers and want (a little) fairness in the whole thing.

It's definitely the case that while you might get paid well for one writing gig it can be a looooong time before you get another one. I feel that regarding my writing income as well. It's been a process of feast and famine, feast and famine - and I've had solid contracts for my books since 2000. Only now, though, have I reached a point when royalties will be kicking in. That's such a BIG DEAL for me. It makes the future look a lot brighter, which is wonderful in such an uncertain occupation. I can't imagine what it would be like to not have a reasonable royalty scheme to help out.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home