Monday, October 29, 2007

Almost Time for World Fantasy!

OMG, it's almost time for the World Fantasy Conference! I'm going for the first time. I'm a virgin. I know nothing... but I'm getting excited about it!

I'm actually up on the Program Schedule now! Okay, you have to go all the way down to the end, to Sunday at 10:30, but there I am - doing a reading! I'm not far from Nancy Kress and Paul Witcover. I'll be hanging out with Paul, so maybe I'll hook him to come to my reading. At least that's one in the audience. I'll also try to rope John Picacio and James Patrick Kelly in... Oh, Erin Underwood - a student I never taught - is coming too. So there are a few possible bodies. I'll build from there!

I should probably start thinking about what I'm going to read, although whatever I decide I'll have plenty of time on the plane to second guess myself. James Clemens once told me readings aren't really about reading. It's more about doing shtick. Which makes great sense and explains what I've been doing wrong all these years at literary readings... So I'll polish my jokes on the plane also.

Any suggestions on readings I should absolutely go to or authors I should absolutely track down and assault? The con will be brimming with names big and small... Any personal messages you want delivered?

Oh, a side note... Remember there are just a couple days left of the Audio Acacia giveaway. If you want to join you can up until the end of the month. On the first we'll do the drawing and announce the winner!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Lou Anders said...

Hey - looking forward to seeing you there.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Yeah - if George R. R. Martin is there, tell him to get back to work on the next Ice and Fire novel!

Otherwise, have a great time.

10:24 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Lou, Absolutely looking forward to meeting you, too!

Joe... Well, GRRM is definitely going to be there. I, um... well, I will seek to make his acquaintance. I'll consider taking your message to him, but it'll depend... I'm inclined to believe that he'll have heard this admonition before, so I might defer to heaping casual and cool praise on him, etc...

10:38 PM  
Blogger AmberDear said...

You crack me up with the OMG stuff. If I knew you better I'd probably tell you to have fun, you big fantasy geek. But I don't so instead I'll say something like... have fun, Mr. Durham. Enjoy your trip! :)

1:29 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Amberdear, truth be told, I'm not usually an OMG sorta guy. There's something about going to the World Fantasy, though, that's a bit OMGing... I will have fun, thank you. And a little geekiness never hurt anybody (after escaping high school, at least).

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home