Wednesday, March 17, 2010

In Search Of A Good Read

Thanks to Laura J. Mixon for pointing me toward this article by John Crace in The Guardian. The man makes sense. I like his analysis of what makes writing work, and of what doesn't work - regardless of the literary accolades it may receive. Please go take a look!

Of course, I may like it because he says a lot of the very same things I go around saying. A couple of examples:

"First things first: the novel is here to stay. Whether we're downloading books on to a Kindle or turning pages of a book is an entirely different argument: the hunger for good storytelling has lasted for centuries and shows no signs of going away. The issue is quality. And I would argue the quality is still there; it's just not always that easy to find it."

Yep. I feel like I say that to somebody (or at least think it) every couple of days. He sites a number of problems with connecting readers with good books, including the vast number of total books being published these days. I agree it's hard to find the good stuff, and I also agree that:

"These books [good ones] do exist. It's just a matter of knowing where to look. Critics often get very sniffy about genre writing, but I believe that's where many of the best novels are to be found... The great novel is very much alive and well. It's just not always where you're told it is."

Good man.

Of course, at the end I wonder what - other than state such opinions - we can do about it?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

For one thing, keep writing good books! Actually, I wish all of my favorite authors should put together a website, where you each review a book once a month or something. Granted, I know that logistically it'd be almost impossible, between your schedules, publishers wanting blurbs, etc., but it would be absolutely awesome. After all, I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets about eighty percent of his recommendations from his favorite authors.
Hm. That still doesn't really say how all of you authors can find good books, though. I say go to a bookstore, close your eyes, spin in a few circles, then walk forward. Wherever your finger lands, that's the book. Scientific, ennit?

10:08 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Dan,

Close my eyes in a bookstore? If so, I'll likely end up grabbing a cookbook, celebrity tell all, Ann Coulter, a calendar, a sushi plate set or whatever else it is that bookstores actually make their money selling. Atleast, if I'm near the front of a B&N or Borders...

Still, though, it's worth a try. ;)

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home