Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Interview with MRK & The Deal

Mary Robinette Kowal, the current reigning Campbell queen, has started a series of interview features with the rabble that would like to grab her tiara. She sent me some questions a few days ago, I shot them back to her fast, and she's posted them. Take a look here.

As I send you over there, I realize that in one of my answers I made a wee announcement that I hadn't actually made here yet. It's a Kowal exclusive. Perhaps I should say a word about it, though. So, go take a look and then come back and we'll talk.

I'll just look at puppies until you get back...

Okay, so you're back? Right. You may have noticed that I announced over there that I'll be leaving my full-time teaching job at Cal State Fresno. Yep. Crazy, huh? With this economy? Are you loopy, David? (That's me talking to myself. Sorry...)

Well, yes, it may be a bit loopy, but it may also be wonderful. When we moved West three years ago, we were following the teaching jobs that were on offer. Good jobs. Engaging teaching. Grown-up security. But we were also leaving behind a house in the woods in Western Massachusetts, a house and community we really rather loved. We've decided the time away has been enough. We're going back. (There's more to it than that, but that's the short version.)

So what am I going to do for a living at my "house in the woods"? Part time I'll continue to teach for the Stonecoast MFA Program. It's a low-residency program that includes Popular Fiction in its curriculum. I get to hang out with James Patrick Kelly, Kelly Link, Nancy Holder and Michael Kimball (just to name a few folks), and I get to work with material that's often close to my own interests.

But that's just part time. More significantly, my full time job will be... writing. Writing books. Writing stories. Writing blog posts, essays, reviews. Writing stuff. I hope that excites you. It excites me, but it'll only work if I have some help from my friends.

So don't be shy out there. If you like my work buy a title every now and then. Tell friends. Give chunky books as birthday present. Write a blog post or review. I'll appreciate it each and every time, and in return I'll focus on being the best writer I can. And I'll make sure that if you do care about my characters and the worlds they live in I won't make you wait too long between books about them.

Deal?

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger A. Hartman Adams said...

Glad you're coming back East, David (and staying with Stonecoast). Does this mean Readercon 20 is on your radar, too?

Happy birthday, btw! If you do make it to Readercon, come hit me up for a birthday scotch.

1:17 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Allison,

Oh, yeah. I'll be at Readercon.

Consider yourself hit up.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Corby Kennard said...

Deal.

3:01 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Cool. Let's cyber shake on it.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget that coffee while you're at it, David. :) (And again, glad you've made the decision you're happy with, and Happy Birthday!)

5:29 AM  
Blogger Meghan said...

Deal! Though I'm sad you're leaving California.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Dirk said...

It was cool having you practically next door but I'd take a house in the woods of Massachusetts over Fresno any day myself.

2:02 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

It's really a lovely little house. The wood stove heats the place so well it's usually the only heat we use, which is good because there's nothing better for my writing than being out in the cold for a little while chopping wood.

California will always be part of my life. I know the state and have traveled up and down the coast, camping, kayaked and rafted all over the Sierras. We'll miss it, but...

3:03 PM  
Blogger Dirk said...

California has a lot of nice places. It's unfortunate that you ended up in the armpit of the state :P

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a plan to me. The house in the Massachusetts woods gives me warm-and-toasty feelings. And if you're confident enough to do it right now, there must be a reason for that. Go for it. (Hey--won't you be closer to Shetland?)

Writing full time. Working part time. *sigh* Don't mind me while I live vicariously through you, David dear. :D

3:11 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Stephe,

I appreciate your faith that if I'm confident enough to make this move there must be a "reason". Ahh... let's hope so.

I do take issue with this, though:

"Writing full time. Working part time."

Let's not forget that the writing part IS work. It's absolutely work! It's work because it's hard, because it pays our bills, and because the fact that it pays our bills means that many different people/companies etc can demand a lot of me.

But, that said, it's the exact type of work that I want to spend my life doing. So, yes, it's a wonderful thing. :)

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Stephe said...

I'm with you on that. I just said it "wrong." :)

5:50 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Stephe,

I know you're with me. I just didn't want anyone ELSE to think that I was embarking on a life of slacking.

2:35 PM  
Blogger James McLauchlan Johnston said...

Slacker!

That's an absolute lie from me, David you are one of the hardest workers I know.

Also pretty cool to hang out with.

I'm glad you will be a little closer to Shetland than before, there's a pile of wood washed up on shore almost every day.

2:26 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Jamie,

And don't give up on us yet. We may yet get even closer to Shetland in the years to come.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home