Saturday, March 21, 2009

Campbell & Things Overheard While Living

Apart from being happy and answering lots of emails, I haven't progressed a lot with my thinking on the Campbell Award and/or the Hugos. I'd like to think I'll have thoughts on both in the weeks to come, and I'll share them here.

One thing I didn't say with the last post is congratulations to all the other Campbell Nominees. You guys are standouts, and I'm glad to be in the mix with you. Let's hang out in Montreal, if not before, and let's be friends moving forward with our writing lives. Sound good? I hope so, because the part of me that wants to win this thing is a close relative to the part that's just glad to be included, that wants to be a part of something and to make friends and allies for the future.

Last year Jon Armstrong, another Campbell Nominee, did a series of interviews with the other nominees for his series If You're Just Joining Us. He did them as audio interviews. Very cool. I'm not quite that tech savvy, but I'd love to post features on each of the other Campbell contenders. We might as well use the occasion to spread the love. Hopefully, I'll soon be able to offer you some quality time with these authors.

So that's that. On another note...

The young lady to the left here is my daughter, Maya Calypso. This evening I watched a rather interesting exchange between her and her mother. I was sitting to the side, so I heard things with a bit more clarity than my wife. I should mention to preface that we rather like nice sweets here in the Durham household. Not generic chocolate bars, but confections with... well, real chocolate and such in them. It's those delicacies, frugally dispensed, that this is about.

It went like this...

Maya (from the other side of the room): "Anviano lafl aoml aif nibubuv caramel?"

Gudrun: "What?"

Maya steps closer, says: "Anviano lafl aoml aif nibubuv two caramels?"

This went on for awhile, until...

Gudrun: "What? Speak clearly. I can't hear you."

Maya (after exhaling with exasperation, and then vocalizing with a speech-therapist's pronunciation): "Can I have three caramels?"

Gudrun (relieved to have finally made sense of her daughter's mumblings): "Yes."


I sat there impressed. One caramel became three, all by the process of limited - and selective - communication. As has happened many times before, I just learned something from my daughter. Not sure how to use this new knowledge, but I'm filing it away for future reference.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Corby Kennard said...

Anviano lafl aoml aif nibubuv The Other Lands?

1:13 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

You should probably ask my daughter that. I don't know what you're talking about.

1:53 AM  
Blogger Corby Kennard said...

Hehe.

That is pretty funny, though. From one caramel to three. Reminds me of that joke about the father whose kid asks him for ten bucks. "Five bucks?" says the dad, "What do you need a dollar for?"

3:28 AM  
Blogger Constance Brewer said...

Heh, heh. Wait until she's old enough to drive. :)

1:29 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

We'll be moving back to the UK before that happens, thus gaining at least an extra year. For that matter, Spain is lovely, with 18 as driving age...

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home