Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Review Up On EW


That Entertainment Weekly review is up now! It's been a big boost, I think, and a great way to kick off the publication. You can read it HERE if you're interested. But I'll say it one more time - do be aware that it includes a rather humongous spoiler.

I'm also feeling some love from a few independent bookstores. This is particularly gratifying because I've always loved indies. It's been painful to see so many of them going under, but a few are still out there and thriving. Seattle's Elliott Bay Books is one of these. I've read at their store before, and I'm happy to say that this time they've put up an endorsement on their June/July newsletter. Among other things, they say, "It's a Martinesque tale of political intrigue, betrayal, and murder that is sure to delight the casual or hard-core fantasy reader."

I'm a new fan of a Maryelizabeth Hart, owner of Mysterious Galaxy Books in San Diego. She's made Acacia part of their Signed First Editions program. She writes, "David is acclaimed for his literary historical novels, and a snob would probably say that Acacia "transcends" the genre, but I think that it's more accurate to say it's a wonderful contribution to epic fantasy." I think that's accurate also. Thank you Maryelizabeth, and I look forward to meeting you at Comic Con!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Meghan said...

I just wanted to drop by and let you know I picked up Acacia yesterday while on lunch break and am already enjoying it! I love the descriptions and characters. Very interesting. :D

12:22 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Thanks Megumi!

12:26 PM  
Blogger John Dent said...

Indie Bookstores are great. There aren't many around here though. *sigh*
There's nothing like finding half a dozen books, and handing your cash over to someone in their PJs, who are still eating their breakfast.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

A more unusual place I found some interesting books these days was a little shop inside Carlisle train station - one of those that sell beverages, Mars bars, cigarettes and newspapers. They had about three rows of books as well, the usual suspects (King, Grisham, Roberts, Gerritsen) and lots of books by Bernard Cornwell, David Gemmell, Tad Williams, plus Scott's Men of Bronze and your Pride of Carthago. Looks like someone stocks those shleves with his personal favourites. :)

1:43 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Cool. I love it when a store - even a small one - has some personality. There's an independent dvd place here in Three Rivers that absolutely great. It's small, but you walk in and instantly know you're in a place owned by people that know and love film. They cover all the basic new releases, but they stock so many other titles that jump out at me. It's an entirely different experience than going to Blockbusters.

Same is true for good bookstores, I say. I hope that one day we realize what we've lost by turning away from independents - then maybe we'll go back to them.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Constance Brewer said...

EW ought to generate some great buzz. :)

I used to own a comic/game/book store. We finally closed it because the box stores in town could sell the stuff cheaper than we could buy it for ourselves. Comics only having 2 distributors and a terrible backorder procedure didn't help.

Being in the middle of nowhere, I mostly do Amazon, then go to a lot of writer's conferences and readings and buy those books right from the author. Wyoming has kinda an eclectic bunch of authors, and the 6 degrees of seperation thing really helps - if I want it, someone will know how to get it and who to get it from. Except for ancient history, I'm the oddball here on that. :)

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great review. I'm in!

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home