Sunday, October 16, 2011

Spread The Positive!

Almost two weeks since publication and, I'm pleased to say that The Sacred Band reviews have been really solid. The pre-pubs were fantastic. The blog-love has been terrific. I've even picked up a few print reviews. Fancy that in this day and age!

Not least, the reader reviews on Amazon have been good. I've got five at the moment. All very positive. I know that before long someone will write a stinker, but for now I want to bask in the kind words those most important of people - readers! - have penned for me. They include...

Reviewer #1: "I found it to be a very solid book. It was addictive to read, and often quite emotional. I strongly recommend it for readers of the earlier books in the trilogy, and the trilogy itself for readers looking for an excellent fantasy series."

Reviewer #2: "In revealing the reasons, some of which are recent, others ancient, of why the characters act as they do, the author shows empathy to all of them. He shows us what binds people to their fate and what could possibly free them. It's this sensitivity that pushes the trilogy beyond it's exciting story, solid worldbuilding and characterization."

Reviewer #3:"I for one, believe this series should be on your shelf right next to Tolkien and Martin. I could not put this book down and finished it in 3 days... Buy this now."

Reviewer #4: "Now that was an amazing read! I kinda wish now that I hadn't finished it so quickly!. The Sacred Band wraps up a fantastic trilogy that began with Acacia. I didn't know what to expect from this final installment, but I have to admit, I was blown away. Blown away by the characters, the plot, and especially the creativity."

Reviewer #5: "What a great series! I loved the last book. I thought the first and second were great...but sort of dragged a bit in parts. The third volume moved at a whip-crack pace."

It means a lot to get reviews like this. A lot of people seem to take some bitter pleasure out of writing negative reviews. Those can take a lot out of a writer - regardless of how wrong you might find them to be. Good ones, though, are each a reminder of why I do this writing stuff in the first place. That matters.

So... with that in mind, don't be shy! If you've enjoyed my books - or any author's books, really - say so! Spread some positivity!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

I discovered Acacia because of the very positive write up it received in Entertainment Weekly a few years back. I hope they follow up with a similar mention this time around. Still haven't read the book yet, myself, but that's only because I've started re-reading the series from the beginning. I find I forget too much, even with the summaries, unless I dig back in and rediscover why I loved (or hated, as the case may be) each of the players involved.

7:21 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Josh,

Yeah, that Entertainment Weekly review was fabulous. Definitely put the book in front of a lot of people's eyes. I doubt that's likely this time. Considering the hundreds and hundreds of books being published all the time, slots like that are in high competition. I'm thankful for the one I got, but don't reckon it'll come again soon.

And, honestly, room for reviews in print mags and newspapers has been steadily dropping. Books simply aren't big enough revenue producers. Print has to sell ad space on every page. If they can't get as much money as they need to from ads that go beside book reviews - and they can't - they cut the book reviews and replace them with content that advertisers are more interested in.

That's, actually, a big part of why I hope people will use the means they can to support books they like. In the past, I've had great reviews in ET, Time, USA Today, The NY Times, The Washington Post, The San Francisco Chronicle, etc. I don't expect a review in any of those places this time. They don't give sff as much attention - and there's just less space, too. If I was already selling tons of copies... If the movie was about to hit theaters... But without those things...

Well, I'm relying a lot more on readers, on fans, on blogs and forums. It's one of the many ways publishing is changing.

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Rialus said...

I am glad that the book has many positive reviews so far!Mine has just arrived and i cant wait to get lost in this wonderful world again and see how all the storylines conclude.
Mr Durham do you plan to visit again the world of Acacia sometime in the future?

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome!


Emil

5:48 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

I first heard about Acacia from Elitist Book Reviews when I was looking for something new to read.
Picked it up, enjoyed it greatly, got the second book, enjoyed that too, and now here I am about 15 chapters into Sacred Band!

9:43 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Rialus,

I'd love to return, but it won't be any time too soon. First I have to write my Spartacus novel, and I have a children's project that I hope goes forward too.

Robert,

I hope you continue to enjoy!

7:11 AM  
Blogger David said...

Really loving the book so far. I'm about 300 pages in. Very clear this story was built up and complex before you ever wrote it!

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home