Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day Surprise

Here in the Durham household we don't watch a lot of tv. When we have in recent days I feel like I've been beat over the head by those teddy bear or lingerie commercials. I have issues with these ads for a variety of reasons, not least because of the things they insinuate about women (that a hastily purchased gift will trick them into feeling loved, happy and horny) and the way they ask me to be one of the guys (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

I'm not one of the guys. Maybe I'd be happier if I was, but I'm just not. My wife doesn't want a teddy bear. I don't even think my daughter wants a teddy bear. I just don't get teddy bears, to be honest. And my wife's pajamas are perfectly fine. We're okay, really. We do a pretty good job of demonstrating that we love each other by the way we live our lives every day. At least, I think we do. (What's the Valentine's equivalent of "Bah Humbug"?)

Considering all of this, we weren't expecting much of a celebration of the holiday at all. Hence our surprise when woke up to find these on the table waiting for us...


The kids completely ignored our crotchety grumbling, made us Valentine's Day cards, and then woke up some time during the night and set them out on the table for us. Maya is nine. Sage is seven. They did this completely without prompting from either of us. I'm a bit stunned.

Sage's card was a jaunty wish for good things on the day. Maya went a little further, though. She wrote poems for both of us. Mine goes as follows...

To My Dearest Dad

You are like
an artist drawing.
A flower in a vase
or a single shell on the beach.
There is nothing just quite like you
or as special.

A mountain of love,
from Maya.


Pretty cool, huh? I think my daughter just taught me something...

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw that's so cool David! :-) Was there perhaps a Star Wars-reference in Sage's card? ;-) You two are great parents, no doubt about it. :-)

2:30 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

No, no Star Wars references this time. Rest assured, though, the boy's interest in Star Wars remains strong. At the moment he's really into SW Lego figures. A droid broke yesterday. It was like mourning a close relative's passing...

1:09 PM  
Blogger Ashe Hunt said...

That's the most massively cool thing I've read in a long time. I'm sure you're still flying high from that!

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for not being one of the guys, David. :) (Bah humbug)

I'm sure I don't have to tell you your kids are awesome.

5:22 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Yeah. I don't know how we've managed it, but they do make me proud and happy every day.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home