Friday, February 22, 2008

Visions of Nothing Obligatory

Just a couple of Acacia: The War with the Mein-related links that popped up this morning...

Visions of Paradise has taken that Locus "Books on Most Best of the Year Lists" a bit further. Looks like adamosf checked twenty different best lists. That's quite a bit more than Locus, although he doesn't say which ones. He has Acacia getting 9 mentions, putting me in fifth place behind Brasyl (16), The Name of the Wind (13), Thirteen (11) and The Yiddish Policemen's Union (11). I'll just have to take adamosf's word on this, but I'm happy to do so.

By the way, I just finished Thirteen yesterday. It's quite a good book. (No comment on the abundance of genetically enhanced sex.)

Larry at OF Blog of the Fallen has a post up called "This is not your obligatory Black History Month SF/F post". It may not be obligatory, but it is a post that highlights writers of color in SF/F, and it is Black History month. He writes that he almost didn't post it because he's "uncomfortable with the notion of forgetting/neglecting for 11 months only to "celebrate" during the shortest month of the year". Well, I'm with him on that, but I'm also glad he posted, and I like being in close company with the other authors he highlights. Check it out here.

By the way, I think Alaya Dawn Johnson also merits a mention. I had the pleasure of hanging out with her at last year's World Fantasy. I haven't read her debut novel, Racing the Dark, but it sounds like a promising start. Like Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu, Alaya's work is in the YA fantasy realm, quickly compared to Ursula K Leguin's. Here's what School Library Journal had to say:

"This novel has rich details of setting and character motivation. The prose is lyrical and metaphorical, in a style similar to Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist (HarperCollins, 1993). There are also elements of Greek myths in which mortals and spirits meet with mostly tragic results. The complex plot requires careful reading but the effort is worth it. Teens who enjoyed Ursula Le Guin's Always Coming Home (HarperCollins, 1985; o.p.) will like this novel, and many readers will identify with a character facing adult responsibilities while still feeling like a child."

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Larry Nolen said...

Thanks for comment on my post, David, and even more for mentioning another author I shall certainly check out in the next few months, once I have the money again to resume book buying :D After all, I do read author blogs to see what other cool authors are out there and since the books you've mentioned I've largely enjoyed (I need to re-read The Known World, as I read that on the day that I, stressed out, resigned my teaching position back in November and I'd like to read it without that sort of raw emotion). So thanks for the tips as well!

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home