Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Kirkus Reviews: The Best of Fiction 2007

I just learned that Acacia: The War with the Mein was chosen as one of Kirkus Reviews ten best works of fiction this year! Whaah? Really? How strange, in a nice way. The list isn't ten best works of sci-fi/fantasy, or best by an African-American author or any other sub-category. It's just there as one of "The Best of 2007 - Fiction". Period. I'm sharing space with writers like National Book Award Winner Andrea Barrett, National Book Award nominees Mischa Berlinski and Amy Bloom, and Orange Prize winner Valerie Martin.

It's actually really gratifying to have this stellar year of recognition from Kirkus. I think it's fair to say they can be pretty hard to please. (That's putting it mildly.) In my case I've had my ups and downs with them. They gave Gabriel's Story a great starred review, but then rather trashed Walk Through Darkness (and almost sounded like they wanted to take that earlier star back because of it). Their review of Pride of Carthage was absolutely fabulous, arguably the best pre-pub I've ever had. They kept the star close to their chest, though, and didn't let me have it. Enter 2007, and they came on board unreservedly: starred review, feature in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Special Edition and now this best of the year nod. Thanks Kirkus.

If you're interested in seeing the rest of the list, and other titles they recommend, go here to their 2007 Special Issues page. You can then click on Best of 2007 and/or Sci-Fi and Fantasy to view the pdfs of those editions.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Laughton and Patricia Johnston said...

Woww! Congratulations David ... deserved ... you gotta believe it. Proud to know you! Laughton

4:42 AM  
Blogger Jim C. Hines said...

Congratulations, David! That's incredibly cool news!!!

9:30 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Laughton, funny that you mention believing it because I've had to keep checking the pdf to make sure I did believe it. Does this really say what I think it does? Is that really my name there? Is this some sort of joke and I'm going to find out I'm being made fun of?...

Well, my editors and agent and publicist all confirm that it's legit, so I'll have to believe, indeed.

Jim, Hi. Thank you. These list are often really weird. I get so used to not being included that when I am it half feels great and half feels, well... How'd that happen?

12:12 PM  
Blogger Constance Brewer said...

Awesome! Congrats, David. :)

2:27 PM  
Blogger Andrea Eames said...

Congratulations!

Andrea

3:07 PM  
Blogger clindsay said...

Well done, sir. :-)

12:39 AM  
Blogger Larry Nolen said...

David, you also made the Fantasy Magazine list as well. And I have a little something planned towards the end of the year on my blog in regards to Acacia.

And even if it's almost a week early, Merry Christmas :D

2:31 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Thanks all!

And, Larry, I'll keep an eye out for that...

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah for you!!! Great news. Congratulations to you, David. I'll have to drop your name at more parties now! People will be very impressed. ;)

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home