Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Peter Jackson to produce "The Hobbit"

I'll keep this brief, but hey, it finally seems official. Jackson is on - not to direct, it seems - but to produce The Hobbit. Cool. Another couple (hmmm...) of fabulous movies coming our way? Let's hope so. Our dvds of LOTRs are worn thin already. You can read all about it at the official Hobbit blog.

I'm pretty sure fans worldwide will be applauding this, while at the same time wondering about that second movie. It looks like the plan is to do The Hobbit in one film and then to do a sequel that covers the material up to the beginning of LOTRs. I can see the attraction for the filmmakers, but the problem is that Tolkein never wrote a Hobbit "sequel". Hmmm...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger James McLauchlan Johnston said...

What about Silmarilion? Isn't that a kinda sequel to The Hobbit? I saw they were making it, it's my goal to get a part in The Hobbit. That would complete my kiwi experience.

1:55 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

I've never read the Silmarilion, but my understanding is that it's the ancient history of Middle Earth, dealing with the earlier age of man and with battles against powers earlier than Sauron even. I may be wrong, but I imagine the Hobbit sequel will largely be new material, even if it is culled from notes and known information in various ways.

Good luck at the casting call. I reckon you won't be alone!

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home