Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Watching Those Amazon Rankings...

The New York Times recently did a story on The Highs and the Lows of Rankings on Amazon. It talks about the whole rating system and outs us writers as often compulsive in checking our figures. (Numerical figures, that is.)

Man, I so do that! What a waste of time, but I can't help it. It's either like an instant little pill of pleasure when the ranking is good or a quick kick in the teeth when it's not.

So why do it? I don't know. It's there. I can't help it.

Any advice on how to break the habit?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could always buy a Playstation 3!!! That's my next procrastination device!!!

5:08 AM  
Blogger Tia Nevitt said...

Use basic behavior modification. Make yourself write a thousand words every time you check your ranking. Or, you can reverse it. Every time you have written a thousand words, you allow yourself to check your ranking.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Tobias Buckell said...

use www.titlez.com to keep the graphs for you, then you don't feel as compelled.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Scott Oden said...

*sigh* I'm right there with you, David. I'm a compulsive checker even though my agent has explained to me that amazon numbers don't actually mean anything. Still, didn't stop me from squeeee-ing when my amazon.uk numbers dropped below 5000, or when the Men of Bronze US paperback was listed in the top 25 in 'Men's Adventure'. Hey, a hollow victory is still a victory, right? ;)

9:51 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Good advice all around. I may take it. (Not the Playstation 3 idea, though - that could be very dangerous.)

Scott, I'd be siked to be rocking the "Men's Adventure" category too. Not for ACACIA, of course. I'd rather that rock "Men and Women's Adventure", but that's not a category, is it?...

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home