Monday, April 17, 2006

Listening to Gabriel

Listened to a little bit of the Recorded Books version of Gabriel's Story. Really enjoyed hearing it rendered through another's voice. The reader doesn't stress things exactly as I would, but that's okay. It's kinda nice to hear the story as if it belongs to world. My local library got the audio version of Walk Through Darkness. I borrowed it. (Yeah, I'll buy one eventually, but they're not cheap, not even for the author.) Again, the reader had very different stresses than I've ever used in my readings, but overall it's a srong production. If you're at all interested please consider requesting one of these through your library. I find most libraries are pretty good about buying things that people ask for.


On another matter, I recently ordered a copy of the large print edition of Gabriel's Story, by Thorndike Large Print. I didn't have anything to do with the publication of it, with choosing a cover image or anything. Gabriel's story, it seems, has a life of its own. There's a large print version of Walk Through Darkness too. Maybe when I get some coins together I'll pick up a copy. Strange that none of these subrights publishers give the author a free copy...

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,

I hope this message finds you well. This is Thomas Penny, the narrator for "Gabriel's Story". I just wanted to drop you a note to thank you for such a wonderful story that is so vividly and compellingly told. I look forward to narrating more of your work, and I hope you enjoy the audiobook version.

Warmest Regards,
Thomas Penny

9:02 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Thomas,

Hello. Thanks so much for writing. I greatly enjoyed your narration of "Gabriel's Story". As I mentioned in the blog, it made me feel like the novel belongs to the world in a different way than I'd felt before. To hear it in somebody else's voice, knowing the work that went into it, noting the quality of the production... All very nice.

People have asked before if I wanted to narrate my audio versions myself. The answer was definitely not! I'd much rather a professional do it.

And I do hope you narrate more of my work someday. How's your Latin?... Actually, I have a book in mind that you'd be great for. I haven't written it yet, but if I do...

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mr Durham,

I just wanted to say that I enjoyed Walk Through Darkness very much. It's the most enjoyable and harrowing tale I've read in a long time. Thank you for it, and keep at it.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home