Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Air France

I feel like saying how sorry I am to hear about the Air France plane crash.

I just flew Air France to and from Charles de Gaulle Airport, and you all know how much I've had France of the brain the last few weeks. One of the downsides (and upsides) of travel is that it makes the world seem smaller in some ways, that it creates personal connections with tragedies in the lives of others...

Tonight I'm thinking a lot about the people that were on the planes with me, and the people that were on that plane from Rio de Jionero, and about the many people effected by it in France and Brazil and elsewhere.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Stephe said...

I cannot imagine the horror that happened to the victims and that is happening their families.

To say that I'm utterly relieved that you were already safely back before the crash sounds insensitive, doesn't it? But I am--relieved.

Words are pretty useless at times like this...

6:20 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Words are hard in situations like this, and reactions can't help but be emotional rather than rational. Obviously, one plane crash has nothing whatsoever to do with another, but of course that doesn't mean our thoughts don't fly in all sorts of directions, making connections.

What can I say? Nothing, really. It's unimaginable. Perhaps that's exactly why I keep imagining it...

1:28 PM  
Blogger Shauna Leigh Atkinson said...

My mom also flew there and back just before you went, and I think she was having similar thoughts after this plane crash. There was also the French Open almost the following week from your trip... It's hard not to think of the people on that plane and their loved ones...
There truly are no words for it...

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home