Thursday, March 05, 2009

My Seven Year Old Gets It

Last night I took on the task of explaining the economic crisis to my daughter and son. I choose a lecture format, with the kids standing in front of me as I discoursed on lending practices, the virtues and perils of credit, the need for responsible decision making. Lots of fun stuff. Metaphors in abundance.

I talked for about a half hour before my son suddenly leaped into the air, excited, chopping the air with his hand as he smile demoniacally. Was he attacking me? Had he lost it completely? Was he in revolt?

No. He'd GOTTEN it. He'd figured out what the frick I was talking about! He wasn't just cutting me off either. He seemed genuinely pleased to discover his father wasn't talking utter, mind-numbing jibberjabber.

I was well pleased. (And now they have no excuse for racking up massive credit debt - like their parents once did.)

Now, for tonight's lecture..

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Corby Kennard said...

Well, I suppose if we fill the republican party with seven-year-olds we could finally get rid of all the obstructionists and maybe move some good legislation through.

It would make the party more mature as well.

9:00 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Yes, but... Sage is a democrat.

;)

11:43 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

I mean, I don't even think he could fake it...

1:22 PM  
Blogger Corby Kennard said...

heh. When I was his age, I was a Republican.

I grew out of it.

9:45 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

That you did. Very much so.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home