Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I Dropped Oranges for Neil

Last night my son and I were out with a flashlight and one of those sponge mops trying to hook some oranges from high in our orange tree. We've harvested all the lower ones already, and haven't gotten around to borrowing our friend's orange picker to get the rest. Hence, the questionable use of household cleaning supplies. I won't go into why we were doing it at night...

Anyway, we were doing a pretty good job, really. I'd just managed to scoop up an armful and was about to call it quits, when my daughter rushed out of the house shouting that Neil Gaiman was on The Colbert Report. You know how I am about Neil, yeah? Well, this news sent me stumbling toward the door, bumping into lawn chairs, dropping oranges and at risk of stumbling into the pool the entire time. I made it, though, and I watched Neil and Colbert chat about knives and death.

If you missed it, check it out here...

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly, is there anyone out there cooler (and deservedly recognized as such) than Neil Gaiman? (Other than Obama, obviously.) Thanks for linking this, David--I met Neil for the first time at Fantasy Matters after he read an excerpt of the then unpublished Graveyard Book, and was struck by how astonishingly polite and good-humored he was (not to mention what a good reader of his own work, by the way). Cool to see this.

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh...as I realize that I already mentioned most of this "Neil is cool" stuff in a comment on a previous post of yours. It's what I get for posting comments late at night when I should be grading instead! :)

12:45 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Greg,

Nae probs.

Neil Geeks unite!

-David.

(That's me in the blurry late nite.)

2:11 AM  
Blogger Corby Kennard said...

I've met Neil twice, and he's been remarkably cool and gracious both times.

Mysterious Galaxy gets them all!

That said, when The Other Lands goes gold are you coming down to sign? We'll take you to dinner.

1:58 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Paranoyd,

Cool. I'll remember that. Mysterious Galaxy was really kind to Acacia, so I'm hoping they'll embrace the new book, too. I don't know if I'll get down there or when, but you'll know if I'm heading that way!

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home