Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Job My Boss Used to Have?... It Just Vanished

There's to be some major restructuring in the Random House world (which, by the way, is a HUGE part of the publishing world in general). Among other things, Doubleday's publisher (and therefore my boss) doesn't have a job anymore. His position won't exist because Doubleday is being merged into Knopf. I'm not saying he's out on the street. He's too much of a veteran not to land in some other role, but I do find it pretty strange. This is the guy that ultimately gave the thumbs-up to Pride of Carthage and Acacia. Not sure what all this means, but in far away New York some of the factors and players that effect my career have shifted (if you don't mind me making it personal for a moment). It could be kinda good to be part of Knopf, but one never knows until the dust settles. Oh, this business...

Anyway, I won't give you the whole rundown here, but if you want to know more you could check out chairman Markus Dohle's "Letter on Restructuring" over at Publishers Weekly.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Corby Kennard said...

Do you still have a book deal? Are you still being published? How does this affect you?

More to the point, how does this affect ME? Do I still get The Other Lands? And a Third Book Yet To Be Named?

OK, j/k. But really, does this mean anything with regards to your novels?

12:29 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Paranoyd,

Geeze... You are paranoyd!

That said, I do appreciate your concern... (Even if you're j/k.) Just to clear up any confusion, I think my position in all of this secure. It's good that I'm being slipped under Knopf's umbrella - at least they already know me since Anchor (already part of Knopf) has done my paperbacks. Certainly, other key players at Dday will stay in place.

Okay, but, truth be known, I think there's one reason I can feel fairly good about what's gonna happen... and that's that I my books haven't been money losers. (Many, many books are.) I may bomb in the future, sure, but at the moment I'm confident The Other Lands and the next book (which I kinda secretly have a name for) will appear in book form.

Hey, good to see you in LA as well. Nice surprise!

-David.

1:58 AM  
Blogger Corby Kennard said...

Heh. I did not pull that moniker out of my butt, good sir.

Well, as far as this story and a post over on Scalzi's blog go, I think I'll be better off focusing on my screenwriting for now. I'm still working (sparingly) on my book, but I know I can get (at least short) films made (already have one in the can.)

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home