Thursday, December 04, 2008

Advice From Scalzi and The Swivet

As Paranoyd here pointed out to me, John Scalzi has also commented on the publishing er... turmoil over at Whatever. Much wisdom.... and a helpful suggestion. This is a much more focussed suggestion, I think, than our (still) president's suggestion after 9/11 that we "go shopping", even if it's similarly a consumer-based idea. He says the best thing you can do for publishing and for authors you love is to...

"Buy some damn books.

Fortunately, this advice is well-timed: Books are inexpensive yet valued objects, which means that they make lovely gifts for whatever holiday festivities you subscribe to this time of year. Now is a fine time to introduce friends and loved ones to some of your favorite authors - and in doing so, you're boosting that author's sales, which will make his or her publisher marginally less liable to dump their shivering ass onto the street..."


I couldn't agree more. Full post is HERE.

Also, my friend and former publicist, Colleen Lindsay, has a few words to say on the subject at the Swivet. Her advice: "DON'T PANIC!!!"

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark Lavallee said...

All too true advice. Sorry to hear about your boss... er... sort of? I hope it stabilizes soon for all of you (and us).

Alas I couldn't put Acacia on my Christmas list this year. Why? Because I already own two copies and an ARC!

But I *will* be handing copies out to friends who haven't already been to that magical land.

Well, as my wife says "You're a lazy no good hunk of meat and you're ruing my life."

Oh wait, that was the wrong quote.

Anyway, Have a great Christmas!

3:46 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

I shall, sir. You do the same!

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home