Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Book Group Buzz and Reads Like a Lawyer

Yes, yes, I'm working hard. But one needs to take a break every now and then and self-promote. Hence, this post on a couple of tidbits I noticed recently... (After which I promise to get back to the novel.)

Neil Hollands has a list of books up on the Booklist Online site. It's a short-list with selected titles from different sub-categories of fantasy. Nice to see that Acacia gets a mention in the "Realistic" Epic Fantasy category, along with George R. R. Martin and K. J. Parker. Good company, and interesting categories. I sometimes suspect that readers don't acknowledge enough how very different fantasy works can be. The differences within the genre can be rather huge, and there's no real reason why somebody that likes books in one category will necessarily be a fit for books in other regions...

Anyway, Neil's list is here: Many Faces of Fantasy.

Dustin Kenall has written a piece on Acacia and on the changing expectations placed on the "Epic Quest Genre" - which I guess is "Epic Fantasy" made slightly more specific. Dustin clearly brings an informed perspective to it. He's written reviews for the sfsite.com and the Agony Column and Blogcritics, etc, though this piece is on his personal site.

I must say, while I'm very pleased at the fine company he places me in, he makes it sound like I'm somewhat more solidly established than I feel. Me? I'm sweating, man. I literally have to finish off The Other Lands in two days! I've got all sorts of anxiety about it. Been getting up early and going to bed late. Butterflies constantly. Writing. Writing. Writing. Checking the clock. Occasionally confident, usually scared. It's funny, really, how ongoing all the trials and tribulations of a writer are. I've got four novels out in the world. All successful in their way. But still, it's the words I have yet to write that seem to matter most.

Anyway, Dustin's very kind essay/review is here on his blog: Reads Like a Lawyer.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry David, you'll get it all done in time. :-) Not, I might add, because you need to, but because you want to; you've got this incredible tale in you, bursting to be born, and that's why you'll get it done in time. :-)

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David

Just to let you know Patrick Rothfuss recommended your book Acacia, so I bought it. Not that I do everything he says mind you.

Well, it is a bit late (and having had too much red wine) for me to write a cogent critique or endorsement, but I can say Acacia is excellent. I am currently about 1/4 through the book, only because I stayed up to almost 3am on Sunday night (a work night) because I could not put Acacia down. And I am still recovering. :) IT is going to be a long week. But it was worth it.

Congratulations!

7:05 PM  
Blogger The Real Deal said...

Hang in there, David! We have faith in you...the words "yet to come" will be great!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Corby Kennard said...

Two days??

Good lord, I haven't written a word in two days, and I'm only on chapter one. I can't imagine how chapter 946 is going to feel!

12:26 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Henry in Bermuda,

You know, Patrick charges me for each sale he me makes for me. We'll have to settle up next time we might. I think I can get away with paying him in jellybeans, though, so it should be okay.

Glad you're enjoying the book so far!

Real Deal,

Thank you.

Paranoyd,

Two days? Two days sounds so lovely now, because now it's... ONE day!

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a writer, what causes the most anxiety for you (i.e. - the deadlines, the book signings, figuring out the story and the characters, etc.)?

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home