Friday, October 29, 2010

Acacia 3 Update

I've been quiet about how the third Acacia book is going only because it's such a long process and most of it, unfortunately, is lonely business. You can be assured that I've had my head down working on it, though. These past few months it's taken over as the fabric of my waking and sleeping hours. Honestly, I'm with it always, and it's with me always.

We've become very intimate.

That doesn't mean I'm done, but this week has seen things step a little closer. I've agreed to float the first 400 pages to my editor as a partial delivery. He's going to start working on it, and kick the pre-publication machine into production. I've agreed to have the rest of the book to him before Christmas. What this means is that I'm still officially on track for a Fall 2011 publication. I know, that's still a year away. Sorry. It's not, however, late. That was always the planned pub-date, and I'm very relieved that we're on track for it.

This doesn't, of course, mean that things couldn't still go wrong. Lots of things could go wrong, starting with my editor thinking the book is a stinker. One never knows. One really never knows...

I take some solace from the fact that my wife has read most of the book and thinks I'm getting the job done. And my kids have heard portions of it and haven't balked yet. So early signs are good.

I may even know the title of it now, but I'm holding off on disclosing it yet. Let's see if it sticks as the editorial process starts.

Wish me luck!

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger David Batista said...

This is making me very excited to read the 3rd book!

And as someone who's about to start writing his first novel next week, it's fascinating to read the internal musings of a working author's process.

Thanks for sharing!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Oh, come on, you don't need luck. But good luck anyway; really looking forward to seeing what's in store for the Akaran kids! (Is it weird that I still think of them as the Akaran "kids"? Eat your heart out, Pevensies.)

8:30 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

I can wait a year for the next Acacia book, knowing that if it is as great a read as the previous two, I will have to lock myself away for a whole weekend to savour the next installment. Good luck with the writing process and I look forward to book 3

5:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great news! Thanks for the update and mini the behind-the-scenes look at how the publishing world works.

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Shawn Crawford said...

Glad to here it's going well. Looking forward to it!

3:26 AM  
Anonymous Dennis said...

Great news! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that no mishaps will change the plan.

7:18 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Thanks, folks! Your kind words mean a lot to me.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Looking forward to it. Just starting the 2nd, i was up till 4am last friday finishing up the 1st.

4:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait. I recently finished The Other Lands. You've really tee'd it up for a heck of a finish.

Good Luck.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finished book 2 looking forward to 3 glad to see That an author can actually stick to a deadline I've had just about enough of authors like George rr Martin taking years and making excuses to finish off a series let's hope you can show them how it's done.

8:10 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Thank you.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just finished book 2. Loved the first two books and with the ending of book 2....can't wait to see where you take us next.

10:02 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Glad to hear it!

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home