Friday, May 15, 2009

Paris From A Moving Car

I said I'd post some non-blurry photos, if I had any. Here are a few that almost meet that definition.

You know what this tall thing on the left is, right? And what the triangle thing down below is? And that thing in the far distance of the bottom photo...

They don't actually prove anything since I'm not really in them myself, and most were just taken out the window of a car skillfully navigating Paris traffic.

This driving stuff had me worried briefly, as it seemed complete chaos, but then Carola explained a basic principle or driving in France, and now it all makes sense.

I'll withhold the information, though, just so not to ruin the experience for any heading to Paris for the first time.

It's kinda fun being terrified, yes?

But as I write this I'm not actually in Paris anymore. I'll try to have something on the actual conference soon...

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Mark Lavallee said...

Yay, I love touring Paris in slightly blurred images from a car.

I thought the first rule of driving in Paris was to go as fast as possible and dodge if you can.

Maybe that was Mexico. It's all so blurry from the drinking. ;)

Don't the cars in France run off of French Bread, or was that only in the Peanuts universe?

1:37 PM  
Blogger A. Hartman Adams said...

I heard the same thing, Jax: drive fast, dodge well. Growing up, my dad had two settings when driving: "Standard" and "Naples."

He'd switch "Naples" on whenever we were in a major European city or Boston. It usually worked, unless the Germans came south for their holidays, in which case we'd avoid the autostrada altogether.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

Wow...Paris looks so beautiful. I wanna go!!

7:58 PM  
Blogger drussthelegend said...

Took my girlfriend to Paris for her birthday last year was great, jumped in a cab from the train station.................Shut my eyes and held on! lol

3:56 PM  
Blogger Beth Armstrong said...

Ah oui...Paris...takes me back...remember the days you spent working hard on your first novel in Albertville and your lovely wife working alongside her sister to support you both. I'm glad you had a good time although somewhat of a whirlwind tour. Yes, they make up their own rules for driving in France!

10:10 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Hi Beth,

Yes, of course. I mentioned those months in Albertville many, many times this last week. Thanks for making them happen the first time. It makes my current French experience seem part of a long continuim.

But... I still say that after Carola clued me in to the main French driving rule it all made sense...

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home