Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Le Site Acacia la Nouvelle Trilogie Fantasy Epique!

Guess who this rather striking young woman is? If you're curious, you can check out the newly launched French-language website for Acacia: La guerre du Mein. It's up. I'm now officially on the scene in France!

The book comes out there in about a week, and so far the build-up looks awesome. I've already done several interviews, and I've seen mention of the book on lots of French sci-fi blogs, and my publisher is doing lots of cool things - like this website.

What does it offer? Well, visuals of the Akaran siblings for one thing. Very curious as to what you think about that. From my standpoint, they're never going to look like what I see in my head. I start with that as a premise, and then I'm curious as to what other folks see in their heads. If you check out the website you'll get at least one artist's version.

There's also a written interview with me and another video one. At the moment, the video one is pretty short, but I think they'll add more bits to it. Actually, I spoke to the interviewer via Skype for the better part of an hour, so they should have stuff to work with. There's a map, if you're curious as to what the Known World looks like in French. There's also little video announcing the book, la bande annoce.

Anyway, it's all available HERE.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Mark Lavallee said...

SWEET! Congrats David!

You know, Acacia is one of those books that I always go back to. I just passed the halfway point of Brisingr and thought "Man, when this is over I'm going to re-read Acacia." No lie. I only have a few books I do that with: Rothfuss and some Terry Brooks. So heck yeah, congrats! Maybe if they send you to France for an interview then you can "swing" by Scotland? ;)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Mary Robinette Kowal said...

Nice site, although the royal family is rather, um, blonder than I imagine them.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. Too bad they're so white.

4:12 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Ah, yes, you noticed that, eh?...

7:29 PM  
Blogger Corby Kennard said...

Heh, I was about to say the same thing.

But cool nonetheless.

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That must be our favourite new queen. :-)Very cool, David, you'll have to start brushing up on your French though! :-)

1:34 AM  
Blogger Mark Lavallee said...

Yeah, I have to admit, Aliver reminds me of Justin Timberlake - he's so white it's scary but at the same time he's all tribal too. You look at him and you can't look away because you just don't know how it happened....

but cool none the less.

Mena in the book is way hotter than the Mena shown here. :)

3:49 PM  
Blogger Shawn C. Speakman said...

David: Congrats! It's always great to have foreign rights bought and published. Free money! :)

7:19 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

I must be mellowing in my advancing years... I could get all grumpy and point to the parts of the book that describe the characters with olive to brown skin, etc, but it wouldn't change anything. This publisher is aiming at attracting their readers, and they feel these visuals will do that. As far as I know they put a great deal of effort into staying true to my words and writing style. That's what counts.

Oh, and I wouldn't want to ignore the fact the artwork is quite good. They're attractive illustrations, quality. Mena should probably be bare breasted, though...

Shawn,

Yes, there is some money involved. ;) Of course, my rights are handled by Doubleday. On the plus side that means they have a big machine to reach just about anywhere - and they have continuity with handling my other books too. On the other hand... Man, it takes years for the cash to actually show up! No complaints, though. It's coming. It's coming.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Tia Nevitt said...

I love the idea of character artwork (even if they strayed from your strict descriptions). I wonder if that sort of thing will catch on here?

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home