Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Salman Rushdie

You know, I bought The Satanic Verses back in the late 80's when it came out. Never read it, but there was a poster campaign at Johns Hopkins - where I was taking some classes - and it seemed to have a high cool factor. Don't know why I never read it, though. Nor am I quite sure why I haven't read him since then, either. I think I thought of him as kinda cranky or something, and got jealous that he hung out with U2 and dated models...

But that might have just changed. I heard a rather engaging interview with him last night on NPR. He was talking about his new novel, The Enchantress of Florence. He was light and witty and smart, and generally an old pro at the interview thing. He managed in eight minutes to convince me to give him and this new book a try. I may do that.

Here's the interview.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Satanic Verses is great. It has one of the truly great openings in all of literature. His book Midnight's Children is on my to-be-read shelf at home, and I'm always on the look out for a nice copy of his first novel, Grimus. May have to add this new one to the list.

11:50 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

If you do read it let me know what you think. My to-read list is looking absurdly long at the moment...

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually own a used book store, so my to-read list is trailing into the thousands... Of course, there are worse things to deal with than owning piles of good books. :)

3:41 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Owning a used book store... Wonderful. I hope you're based in a good place for it and that you stay afloat just as long as you want to!

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home