Wednesday, November 07, 2012

An Election

I haven't talked politics here in awhile, and I'm not really going to start now. But, having had an election last night, I think it's reasonable to share my opinion on the whole thing.

I'm pleased. Very pleased. I'm optimistic about the legacy President Obama will leave after his second term, and I'm hopeful that Congress will have no choice but to let a few things get done. I'm overjoyed that the election was so clearly won, and that there were no major diabolical plots muddying everything, and that the changing demographics of the American populace seems to be finally, and firmly, effecting the electoral process in this country. America, all things considered, did well last night. I believe that our economy, environment, world stature, healthcare and social fabric will all benefit from it.

I'm also pleased that Massachusetts has returned to form and is sending a Democrat to the Senate again.

Yesterday, I picked my son up from school and took him with me to the polling place. He got to watch the process and look through the ballot questions with me. It was great to share that with him, and for the outcome to have been so positive.

Of course, none of this stopped him from having his recurring scary spider dream again last night. That's proving harder to beat than Mr. Romney...

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you going to tell us about the scary spider dream?

1:44 PM  
Blogger Dan (Targh) said...

I stayed up all night watching it in the UK. Despite some protestations that it's 'none of your business' when non-Americans talk about the elections... America has a tendency to make their politics everyone else's business!

Very pleased with the result.

And yes, spider dream needs info please.

4:10 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

No way. The spider dream is too scary. You don't want that in your head.

(I say that jokingly, but it's quite a concern. Sage has always had a spider issue, but lately he's been having a classic recurring dream about them being in the house, he's alone, that sort of thing. Not sure how to help him with it.)

Dan,

I suppose you know that I'm split down the middle, with half my heart and my family in the UK. I had family over there staying up late as well. Thank you for that. Glad you care, and even more glad you're pleased with the result.

Perhaps, spider dream will manifest in fiction at some point. That might help beat the beast back...

5:20 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Hear, hear!
I, too, was happy to see Obama get reelected.

It's nice to live in a battleground state (Florida). Makes me feel that my vote *really* counts. Although in this case Florida didn't really matter!

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But you could write a nice story for your son, in which he finds a flamethrower in his dream and just blows those scary spiders away.
My daughter and I found out that once you confront scary things in your dream, they don't dare to come back.

I am pretty pleased about the results of the election, too (not being North-American, mind you) - but I just hope they really will be able to get a grip on those economic problems. I suppose a flamethrower would be no help with them, unfortunately.

10:19 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Will mention that flamethrower!

Had another tough night last night...

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home