Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Horseman

Each year for the last six or so I've gone into December with a sense of nervous expectation. Christmas? Holiday parties? The dawning New Year? The snow storm sweeping up the East Coast? Yeah, all that stuff too, but what I'm talking about now is related to Tinseltown...

This is the month that I learn whether or not the movie producer Uberto Pasolini is going to renew the option he holds for Gabriel's Story. He's been connected with this movie since at least 2003. He found it on his own, just browsing for a Western novel that hooked him. He likes to say that every producer should have at least one Western in their portfolio. Apparently, Gabriel's Story is the one that works for him, and he's willing to put in the time and money over the long haul to make it happen.

So here we are again, and I can say with real joy that Red Wave is renewing for another year. They continue to feel good about the director, Alan Taylor, and the screenplay they have. And it sounds like they feel the market for a film like this might look better soon. Uberto's been right before. I doubt Gabriel's Story would ever be a blockbuster surprise like his hit The Full Monty, but it doesn't have to be. I'd settle for a well-made movie by people that are passionate about the book and have a record of staying the course with the projects they love.

That's what I got. Cross fingers for me, please.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Corby Kennard said...

That is very cool, David. I hope it goes well, although I think we both know enough about film production to understand how projects are never assured until they are up on the screen at the multiplex. Even so, at least it's a bit of cash for you, which never hurts, and more exposure for your work, which is also nice.

My fingers and toes are crossed for you.

Speaking of westerns, have you seen The Proposition? It's by the same director as The Road and Nick Cave wrote it. It's on my Top 5 Films of All Time.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Dave de Burgh said...

Fingers definitely crossed - looking forward to a good movie and the words, 'Based on the novel by David Anthony Durham' scrolling up in the credits! :-)

BTW, would you do a screenplay if asked? I'm sure GRRM wouldn't mind throwing some help with that your way. :-)

4:50 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Yep, I know it remains a long shot, but I love it that as the years are passing, Uberto and Co are continuing to take shot after shot. I could tell you what star actor has the exclusive look at the project right now, but I'd just be name dropping. (I could, though - and that's plenty nice.)

Dave,

You got me chuckling. GRRM has David Benioff translating his words to the screen. He certainly doesn't need the likes of me! Heck, he could do it himself, for that matter, since he did time in Hollywood.

Would I ever do a screenplay? I might. It would depend on the project and if I thought it suited me. I'm more invested in writing more books, though!

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Erika Hamerquist said...

I hope this comes true. Gabriel's Story is my favorite among your novels so far.

8:38 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Thanks, Erika! It's nice to hear that my firstborn still resonates with some folks!

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home