Monday, September 28, 2009

TOL German Deal

Hurrah! Blanvalet and Random House finally put together a deal for a German edition of The Other Lands (Acacia, Book 2). Very good news. I'd been so pleased with the enthusiasm Blanvalet showed for Acacia: Macht und Verrat, and I'm thrilled to hear they want to continue with the series. In the current world economy, each of these foreign deals is a big blessing, a bit rarer than just a couple of years ago. Thank you, Blanvalet, for sticking with the Akarans (and me)!

Now, considering that the cover image the US edition used for The Other Lands was actually from the German cover of Acacia, I wonder what they'll do this time? I'll happily wait to find out.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, do you have any infos on how Book 1 sold over here ?

Regards

Sebastian

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Josiah said...

Hmmm . . . maybe i will need to learn to read in German. Make sure they don't screw it up in the translation.

To bad I'm not a language genius. : |

10:33 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

I do have some sales info, but I don't give it out. I will say that the sales were respectable. If they weren't Blanvalet would not be coming back for more.

That said, they definitely want to grow the audience. They - like my French publisher - really love the books and they're trying to get the word out to more and more readers. I think they feel good about a core audience, but hope the series will get more mainstream attention as it goes.

That's pretty much the case everywhere, I think.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Mary Robinette Kowal said...

Great news!

2:06 PM  
Anonymous TeichDragon said...

Awesome David, congratulations!

Can't wait to get the translation in my hands.

/me does a happy dance...

And we are already praising your book whenever we can. :)

Concerning the cover: I am pretty sure they'll do a great job, as they did with book one!

@Josiah: There's nothing to complain about in the german translation.

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Steven Till said...

Congrats David! How many languages has the series been translated into now?

3:07 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Steven,

Let me see...

Published in the United Kingdom by Transworld, in French by Le Pré Aux Clercs, in German by Blanvalet, in Italian by Piemme, in Polish by Mag Jacek Rodek, in Portuguese by Saida de Emergencia, in Russian by Recliff Holdings Ltd, in Spanish by Ediciones B and in Swedish by Norstedts.

That's it so far!

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home