Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Todd Lockwood

Let me say this upfront. All the images in this post came from Todd Lockwood's website. They're all copyright Todd Lockwood. That link will take you there, and I recommend browsing the images. Good stuff. With the Holiday season around the corner, I think a quality fantasy print can make a great gift. I bought one for some of my special folks. (I also traded a book for a print. Barter rocks!)

This print was used for my friend Tobias Buckell's novel Crystal Rain. I promised my kids I'd post some images of Todd's prints, and this is me doing that. (Yes, my family is still hiding out in the windswept wilds of Shetland. I'm on countdown to departure day now. 25 Days!) So this is me trying to demonstrate to my kids that I know cool people...

I mentioned during my World Fantasy post that one of the people I most enjoyed talking to was the artist Todd Lockwood. He was one of the guests of honor, much in demand, but also much available, it seemed, for conversations in the bar and... well, mostly that. We talked art and careers and raising kids and... politics.

Hey, Sage. (That's my son - age seven.) You recognize this guy? Steven Colbert of The Colbert Report. You sometimes see him on your new favorite comedy show - Daily Show With Jon Stewart. (I have to admit, I'm not sure what it is about Stewart's comedy that my son likes so much. He's still in Scotland, where the show is popular. A few months ago I didn't think Sage was a likely candidate for political comedy. Perhaps the British environment has aged him and refined his sense of sarcasm.)

This one is became the cover os RA Salvatore's third Drizzt novel, Sojourn, detailing his emergence to the surface world...

Anyway... Yeah. I like Todd's politics. Remember now that this was about three days before the US election. I'm happy to say that Todd was with me on Team Obama, as were most of the folks I hung out with in Calgary. Lovely moment... Todd gets called up at the World Fantasy Award Banquent to say a few words. He approaches the mike solemnly, looks around, and says a single word. "Obama..." Resounding applause.
This is the print I asked for from Todd in return for my book. It's weird. I dig it. My cats would understand, I'm sure.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Maya Calypso said...

I found those pictures very interesting. I particularly liked the one of the dragon thing by the boats. I also liked the way they looked realistic yet still fantasy like. The one of the person and air ship with the birds flying around was also quite interesting.

2:43 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Hi Maya,

(Folks, this is my daughter.) I thought you might like the dragon with the boats. It's actually a cover for a special edition of one Naomi Novik's Temeraire novels. We should read those sometime. It might be a good series to read out loud.

See you soon, sweetheart!

-D.A.D.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maya, I bet we'll be seeing your work on book covers one of these days too. Maybe a collaboration with your dad? That'd be cool.

3:45 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Hehehe...

I'd love that.

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,
Thanks for introducing Todd's work. Really nice! I search for SFF art now and then and use it to help me write. I do the same with music.

I am very fond of Dan Dossantos. See his work at:

www.dandossantos.com

8:28 PM  
Blogger Dirk said...

Good choice for your barter pick. I like that one too.

Don't know that my girlfriend would want me to hang it up in the living room though...

1:39 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Yeah, Dan has some interesting stuff too. Once I meet him and drink a few beers with him I'll be sure to give him the same treatment. ;)

And no, Dirk, I don't imagine that print will go up in our living room either. I see it as a piece for my office. There's something strangely creative about it. Or... perhaps it's just that when the writing is tough and I'm loosing it I can look up at that guy and think, "At least I'm not eating small rodents..."

2:20 AM  
Blogger Corby Kennard said...

Very cool. If any of those could be made into puzzles, I would buy them do them, glue them, and hang them. (Ah, my secret shame. I have almost 10 puzzles in different stages of wither waiting to be assembled, waiting to be glued, waiting to be hung, or already on the walls.)

3:18 AM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

They would make rather cool puzzles. Not sure about the hanging part, but everyone's entitled to their hobbies... ;)

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting, I like Todd Lockwood's work, though I thought you should know that the image you chose in the barter is a direct transcription of a pretty famous photograph by Don McCullin called 'Snowy the Mouse Man' taken in Cambridge, England in 1973.

9:40 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Thanks for that. Yep, just looked it up.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home