Sunday, July 06, 2008

Wall-E

I'll keep this short... When I think of how much meaningless drivel (ugly, vacuous, violent, divisive, etc.) Hollywood produces and America (and the world, too) consumes I'm... Well, actually, I try not to think about it. I'm just used to it. All the gore in the aisles of Blockbuster... But coming out of Wall-E yesterday, I couldn't help but be amazed at the positive power of film and the sheer joy of being taken away by a great story.

If you haven't seen this movie, please go and see it. Take a kid if you have one available, but go even if you don't. It's special, and the filmmakers deserve your money in payment for them making it. I didn't know how powerful the experience was until the final credits rolled. Don't get me wrong, I am talking about a kid's flick. It is funny and light and enjoyable... But that's why I was so struck at the end. This movie is, thematically, about big issues. What's so stunning about it to me is that the filmmakers manage to be critical of human (Western) folly without being shrill or accusatory. This is a film about the biggest mistake humans can make, an enormous crime that we are in the midst of right now, but it's made with love, not anger. (Well, not exactly...) Man, these guys are smart...

That's all I want to say about it.

If you want to hear what a few others thought here's:

Ty Burr at the Boston Globe


Roger Ebert at the Chicago Sun Times

and Claudia Puig at USA Today. (They all loved it too.)

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Andrea Eames said...

I've heard so many good things about this film - I can't wait to see it!

5:07 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Good. Don't wait any longer than you have to!

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But... did the kids like it? Or did you force them to stay home? ;)

My best, as always,
Bryan Russell

5:09 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Of course the kids liked it! They both offered as much in the car on the way home, doing a survey of who "really" liked it. 4/4.

Thing is, they even seemed to understand that there were themes deeper than the surface. My wife asked them what they thought it was about - as in what larger theme than just Wall-E's adventures.

Sage piped right up, saying, "It's about that we shouldn't destroy the earth." Sage is pretty good with "theme" type stuff, but I was glad to hear that his 7 year old appreciation of the movie had some depth to it.

-David.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Corby Kennard said...

We will be seeing this when we can. We just watched "Hancock". Pretty good. More serious and slightly deeper than it looks like it would be.

1:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved that movie. The delicate touch. The silences. How utterly adorable a plucky pair of animated binoculars can be.

Have seen it twice.

(Seem curiously incapable of inserting subjects in sentences just now).

~Dave

PS: You don't happen to be dropping into San Diego for the Comic thingy, do you?

5:38 PM  
Blogger David Anthony Durham said...

Paranoyd, I think you'll like this one. I'll look forward to seeing Hancock, too, maybe not at the cinema, though, but definitely later.

Dave Keck! Howdy. Thanks for stopping in. No, I won't be at ComicCon this time around. Maybe next year - and promoting a new book (fingers being crossed)?

Have fun, though. I'm sure you always do...

7:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good post! I am planning to play this movie in the garage this weekend. All the kids can come and watch it. I even played series by Andy Yeatman like this once. It was so much fun. I remember the smile on everybody’s face.

4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home